Wednesday, December 16, 2009

{Corner} BOOKS {View}


Hello to all my Corner View friends !
Things have been very busy around here and I've missed a few weeks !
I'm back now though and excited to see you all again !

Photobucket
Corner View is hosted by Jane at Spain Daily.
Join us as we travel the world each Wednesday ...

This week's theme ... "books"



I've written a fair bit about books (or reading) on this blog. I'm going to cut and paste from a post that I wrote last year today.

Here we go ...

I found the quote above in a coffee table book that my sister, Gina, gave me years ago. The Charm of Simple Things is a wonderful book about delighting in simple things. Things like ... "reading, conversation, music. The sunrise, sunset, the beating of rain on the roof, the gentle fall of snow in winter ..." to quote the book directly.

The laughter of children. The crackling of a burning fire. Stars on a clear country night. The rustle of leaves. The feel of sand underfoot during a walk along the beach. Fireworks ... to name a few of my own.

I could go on and on.

But I won't, because I want to talk about reading. It's one of my favorite things to do. A gift that was passed on to me from my parents, as it was passed on to them from theirs. One that Rory and I have already passed onto both of our children. At (almost) seven, Jono can read well. And at five, Alia is so desperate to be able to that I think she may teach herself if they don't do it quick enough next year when she starts school !

Photobucket


I have always got books on the go. I read all over the place. In the lounge, family room, at the dining room table while I eat breakfast, in the backyard on a blanket, in my rocking chair in the garage (where I sit when the kids play out front !), in the bath tub, on the toilet (but you probably didn't need to know that !).



The library is one of my favorite places to hang out. Books books books ! What could be better ? I have four library cards in my wallet now. Which means, if I wanted to, I could check out 120 books ~ and I sometimes come close ! I do almost always come home with a half dozen to a dozen cookbooks, a couple of computer books, a few photography books, a few books about famous painters, books that the kids have chosen, DVD's, music CD's, books on CD for Rory who commutes, and a novel or two for me. The library is such a great resource. If there are books that I've heard about that I want to read, I go on-line and reserve them ( for free ! ) and just pick them up when I go in ! We use the library so much, we actually have two shelves in our house dedicated to housing library books !!



As children, my parents read aloud to me and my siblings. I remember them reading the Little House on the Prairie books, Narnia, The Hobbit, The Winnie-The-Pooh books, and In Grandma's Attic ... to name a few. I'm reading In Grandma's Attic to Alia at night before she goes to bed. It's not a picture book so she just has to listen. She does. It's a little above her comprehension level but I like that because she asks questions and we talk about stuff.



Reading, for me, opens up not only the imagination but a whole world of ideas and inspiration. It can be an escape. A place of learning, a place of stretching and growing. I laugh. I cry. I get mad. Frightened. Even irritated. I get attached to characters in novels. I'm always bummed when a great series ends ...



The above is a stack of some of my favorites ... ones that I own anyway. I've talked about a few of these books on this blog ... Water For Elephants. The Creative Family. You Sexy Mother.

And last ... cookbooks. COOOOOOKBOOOOOOKS !!! I looooooove cookbooks !! Don't you ? You can see evidence of my love of cookbooks over at The Beans Blog !



I look forward to coming round and visiting all of you this week ! Seeing what "books" looks like in your corner of the world !! Hooray ! For now though ... it's time for our weekly trip to the library so I'm going to have to bid you au revoir, auf wiedersehen, arrivederci, sayonara, adios, shalom, aloha ... and hooroo. I think that about covers the languages in which I can say goodbye !


27 comments:

Crescent Moon December 16, 2009 at 3:38 PM  

What a fun post! Your love of books really shows. Thank you for sharing it!

Anonymous December 16, 2009 at 4:21 PM  

i miss good libraries where i can borrow dozens of books and spend hours reading and browsing.

Sabba and Nanny December 16, 2009 at 5:51 PM  

One of my favorite posts. Why not? Books are among my favorite things. I wrote a fairly extensive comment on your post a year ago, but I love the fact Alia can’t wait to read. Supposedly I came home from kindergarten every day asking when they’d teach me to read.

I have that book ¡Vamos a Leer!, or at least, I did.

I love libraries. My dad used to go in to work on Saturdays, and he’d leave me at the library all day while he was at the office. Libraries are like home to me. As much as I love the Internet and the ability to Google nearly anything, I hope there always are libraries. I hope they never become obsolete. That would be a sad day, indeed.

In Colorado, they just add a machine-readable code to your first library card, so I don’t have four cards, I just have four or five codes on one card!

By the way, there is no limit (or at least, there never used to be) on the number of books you can check out of the Denver Public Library system. I always wondered what they'd do if somebody backed a truck up to the entrance and started emptying the shelves!

Speaking of getting attached to characters, one of my favorite authors, Michael Connelly, just killed off one of the characters in the series about his hero Hieronymus (Harry) Bosch (it was actually his ex-wife). I was very sad. His latest book is named Nine Dragons. I knew that Kowloon meant Nine Dragons in Chinese. When in the novel, he goes to Hong Kong, finally the light bulb lit over my head (think cartoon), “Aha, Kowloon, Nine Dragons.”

I may have to do a blog post on books on my blog.

By the way, in Hebrew you can also say, Lehitraot, which is about like saying, “See you later.”

Ian December 16, 2009 at 6:31 PM  

Very nice post. Aren't libraries great? You only find a word like underfoot under the cover of a book.

Unknown December 16, 2009 at 8:38 PM  

Full of books! Lovely wellcome again

;) December 16, 2009 at 8:51 PM  

Wow !!! What a library !!! I think we know we are "great" readers when our children read too... It's one of the best legacy... And, you illustrated here the book you're talking about... The Charm of Simple Things !

Have a nice time

Mari December 16, 2009 at 9:09 PM  

This one was made for you! Anyone that reads your blog knows how much you love books!

Anonymous December 16, 2009 at 10:21 PM  

Love this post! I love to hang out at bookstores, but you've inspired me to hit the library today - for more than books!

Lisa notes... December 16, 2009 at 10:55 PM  

I love books like you do. I can't imagine a world without them. Or a world without libraries--oh my. I absolutely love hanging out there, too. I wonder how many thousands of their books have passed through my home. We are so blessed to have such good systems for FREE books. Love your post!

Amy December 17, 2009 at 12:03 AM  

Love it, Bon! I absolutely ADORE the library!!! Favorite favorite place!

Love finding my kids snuggled up somewere with their nose in a new book! Makes my heart all warm and cozy inside!

Thanks so much for your comment on my WWJD post! Ack! You made me smile... I saw I had a comment, and felt myself brace... lol!!

Hugs... Amy

jane December 17, 2009 at 1:58 AM  

oh i´m loving your collection. and that second shot is priceless! warm hugs!

Traveling Mama December 17, 2009 at 2:09 AM  

I love this post! Now I just want to run out and visit an English library! I cannot WAIT to do just that in a few weeks when we are back in the States!

Bree December 17, 2009 at 2:24 AM  

LOVELY POST!

DAG! [dutch]

Kari December 17, 2009 at 4:01 AM  

great post Bonnie. We can never read enough.

Nicola December 17, 2009 at 6:13 AM  

EXCELLENT angles for these photos on the theme. i LOVE the tree on the wall!
nicola
http://whichname.blogspot.com

Daan December 17, 2009 at 6:30 AM  

I love your post, and reading aloud for children is the best. Most of the times my husband reads for children before they go asleep. I enjoy it very much.

Those little toes are so sweet!

Hapy readingtime!

Jennifer December 17, 2009 at 6:55 AM  

"It can be an escape. A place of learning, a place of stretching and growing. I laugh. I cry. I get mad. Frightened. Even irritated. I get attached to characters in novels. I'm always bummed when a great series ends ..."

Perfectly said!
xo

Anonymous December 17, 2009 at 12:13 PM  

Haha you have a lot of books, your own personal library.

"hooroo" is goodbye? it sounds like hello. haha so funny! love languages :))

Even though I can pronounce and know to say the valedictions you've stated I don't think I saw most of them ever written before! go figure.

I've learned something today, not sure I'll remember it, but cool nonetheless.

Anonymous December 17, 2009 at 2:59 PM  

lovely! thanks for your visit and have a wonderful christmas and new year! kenza

Isabelle December 17, 2009 at 4:40 PM  

I really enjoyed your post, it was like a little story ...

Khrista December 17, 2009 at 4:58 PM  

Love this post! I love books too but have very limited time to read these days! I have a lot of the books you have pictured here! :) Good taste! :)

Palmer and Co December 18, 2009 at 2:36 AM  

OH, I'm love these shots. I got Dallas Rick & Lanie's book for fathers day one year. I'm dying to own Jamie at Home, oh, and his new one. You could dedicate a blog just to books!

Darling shot of the kiddos!

la ninja December 18, 2009 at 3:15 AM  

A true book lover, you are.
Great post.

Vamos a leer. Vamos, vamos. ¡Ahora mismo! ;)

sunnymama December 18, 2009 at 7:31 AM  

Loved the tour of your book collections! The pictures are all great, especially love the one of your children reading together. :)

Cate December 18, 2009 at 11:54 AM  

really great post. i'm going over to the bean blog now because of course that got my attention. how is that THE FOOD OF SPAIN?

Dorte December 18, 2009 at 6:18 PM  

Beautiful post ... what a tour. Thanks and happy holidays!

shayndel December 20, 2009 at 1:23 AM  

'Ditto' about libraries, I am so happy we can find English books in the library here.
Your post is so cozy and has such a warm and close feeling towards books.
I love the A.A. Milne duo too, When We Were Young..and Now We are Six.
I read them to my daughter when she was young, though all she reads are manga! But I must accept that manga too are books, and love them along with the rest:))


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP