Monday, January 26, 2009

Sharing A Picnic and Water for Elephants


Photobucket

What a lovely afternoon we shared with friends on Wednesday. Toni and her boys met us at our favorite park for a picnic lunch and hours of sitting under a shade tree, she and I, chatting while the kids played on the playground, climbed trees and rode bikes.

A lovely breeze was blowing the whole time and though it was quite hot out, it didn't seem it where we sat ! I did discover this evening though, as I was cleaning the fish tank, that I got sunburned on one part of my arm. I can't figure out how. It's either a sunburn or I'd left the tank so long that the water was toxic and burned my arm ?! Without killing the fish. Hmm ...

Maybe not.

Abrupt change of subject happening ... now.

Photobucket

I mentioned yesterday about the book I read on the plane that was so good. I wonder if any of you have read it. Shay recommended it to me. I loved it. I'm glad we own it, I'll read it again in a few years. It's pretty rough and tumble in some parts ...

but ...

I love the way the author tells the story. It's from the view point of an old man looking back on his life. The book is mostly set in the "story" but also develops the character as an old man. I found the relationships between the people fascinating. The idea of the circus and all of the crazy things that went on ... drew me in. I was so involved in the story. I was sad when it ended.


Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

Here's the Wikipedia Link ... but I warn you, it tells you what happens so if you're going to read this you might not want to go there ...

Check it out ...

Come back and tell me what you thought !

AND ... I'm in need of a new good book. Any suggestions ? I've checked a couple out from the library ... I'll let you know if they are any good.

4 comments:

Mari January 26, 2009 at 12:10 AM  

Sounds like a good day. I heard from someone else that the book was good. I don't have any book tips for you off the top of my head!

Holly January 26, 2009 at 7:59 AM  

The weather sounds lovely! We have snow today.
Thanks for visiting my blog!

Khrista January 26, 2009 at 8:27 AM  

Have you read "The Secret Life of Bees?" It's a bit tough to read at certain parts, but I really liked it. That's all I've got at the moment. Will come back of I think of more! BTW I have thought of reading "Water for Elephants." Now upon your recommendation I think I'll reserve it at the library.

Toni January 26, 2009 at 2:25 PM  

I had a great day too :D

I really like the sound of that book. Thanks for the recommendation.

Have you read Lovely Bones? When I find my copy I'll lend it to you!


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP