Friday, August 14, 2009

Home Tour {the garage}

Why on earth would you start your home home tour with the garage, you might be thinking ! Well, a few reasons.

1.) I love the garage
2.) I spend a lot of time in the garage
3.) To show my cousin Jill who was confused
when said I was laying in the garage
talking to her on the phone the other morning.
4.) It's the first room you come into when you come to our house.
Unless you come over at night,
you probably won't be greeted at the front door ...
We rarely use it.

So, here we go.
Now, you all know that we bought new living room furniture when we moved into this house.
Rory was pretty keen to get rid of the old stuff but I had other ideas.
I convinced him that we should try the old stuff in the garage.

We spend a lot of time in the garage so we can keep an eye on the kids while they play.
Plus, it's my studio as well ... where I paint.
The kids often want to watch and will sit on the couch to chat or color or read
just so they can be in there with me ...

Photobucket

I also do a fair bit of reading in there too. Those books on the table are cookbooks from the library. I have difficulty leaving a library empty handed ... actually, it's worse than that, I usually leave a library loaded up like a donkey ! I just can't help myself. It's not a bad problem to have though ...

Anyway ... here's how it looks from the outside ...

That two door cabinet in my 'second pantry' and the bookshelf beside it is home to the children's shoes. On top of it there is a basket with sun screen, bug spray, lotion, chap stick, small packets of tissues, paw paw ointment, bug bite itch relief lotion, you know ... all the stuff the kids need to be able to reach from the medicine cabinet ... and usually as we are running out the door for school. Having it right there when they put their shoes on reminds them to take care of that stuff then ... especially the sun screen which is essential in our neck of the woods !

Photobucket

Here's where I was laying to talk to you Jill ...

Photobucket

Another angle ... from inside the house ...

Photobucket

I looooooooove these shelves. They came with the house. They were going to remove them (and the work bench) for us ... thought we wouldn't want them. Good thing it came up in conversation during one of the inspections because they are fantastic !! So much storage !

I've got to point out the shelf with all the empty containers/baskets. Does anyone else have a shelf like that in their house ? I don't throw out good organizing equipment. I am constantly rotating what I have and what I use changes from time to time. It's good to have a supply that I have collected over the years ...

Photobucket

This is what the other wall looks like ... Garbage can (that's the kitchen one ... I don't like tiny garbage cans and this one is too big to go in the kitchen so it lives in the garage ... ) Recycle box. Vacuum cleaner. Etc ....

The bookshelves have some of Rory's old engineering book from Uni. They are also home to the board games and my jigsaw puzzles.

And yeah, that's the ironing board all the way at the end there. I only keep it because I occasionally need to use it for a craft I'm doing. I iron once in a blue moon. Weddings. Yeah, I'd iron for a wedding. That's about it.

Photobucket

Here's the studio section of the garage.
I love having all my gear in one place and being able to leave it all ready to go.
The kids love it too.
I often find them at the desk doing something crafty.
Lately too, they've been working on the doll house a lot, I'll have to take another photo
and do another post about it because it looks nothing like when we
first started it !!

Photobucket

It may seem strange ... hanging out in the garage.
Perhaps you should come visit so you can experience it for yourself !
It's like our little outdoor area ... with a roof !
And it's beautiful.
Not dingy like you'd expect a garage to be.
Just look at that sky !!

Photobucket

So ... there you go.
The home tour has finally begun.
I shall endeavor to show you a bit more of the house
every couple of days.

And in case you are wondering how we fit the cars into the garage ...

We don't.


12 comments:

Mari August 14, 2009 at 8:52 AM  

I like your garage! I would gladly hang out with you there. The painting is looking interesting too - can't wait to see what it becomes.

A Captured Reflection August 14, 2009 at 9:16 AM  

How cool is that, you have a great set up. My neighbour has done something similar in her Garage - they only have the one family car which is in one half of the garage and then there are the couches and other bits of pieces the other half.

She's hosted a few birthday parties out of her garage too.

Palmer and Co August 14, 2009 at 11:22 AM  

Sweet! Oh, how I miss having a garage. We just have a carport and a very small storage space in there. This looks like an amazing use of space!

dawn August 14, 2009 at 11:24 AM  

I think your garage is great. I don't think my hubby would go for it...he likes the cars in there too much. I'll just have to live vicariously through you on this one.

puna August 14, 2009 at 12:37 PM  

You've got to be kidding me! I would love to hang out in my garage, paint in my garage, and play dolls in my garage but I'm afraid the smell would get to me:)

Kayren August 14, 2009 at 12:53 PM  

Wow!

Okay, is that your dryer on that table? I just had to get that question out of the way.

It's like a whole other room. You know, they just did that on HGTV's Design Star on Sunday night...did over two different families garages into family rooms.

I could never put my trash can in the garage because I seem to throw stuff away all day. I'm still trying to find a pretty one that's not microscopic and would fit in the space I have. Not an easy task, mind you.

Yes, I have a shelf with empty organizing baskets and containers. It's in my basement. It's my shopping spot when I'm reorganizing something, like my pantry the other day.

Loved the tour...can't wait to see more.

likeschocolate August 14, 2009 at 1:16 PM  

I wish we could convert the garage into more living space, but I have an over pharanoid husband who is afraid our cars will get broken into.

Amy August 14, 2009 at 1:18 PM  

O my gosh! If my garage looked like that, then I would want to be in it aaaalll the time too! Gorgeous.. just gorgeous, girl!

Thanks for the peak!

Liz M. August 14, 2009 at 1:41 PM  

Suddenly the POG in your parents' house makes a LOT more sense to me. You have a GAD (Garage/Art studio/Den!) lol. Glad to have a clear picture in my mind now, although the vision of you laying on the floor by an oil spot is still funnier!
And I totally relate about the no ironing thing. I only bust out the iron if I'm sewing something. Somehow as part of a craft project it's not so odious a task. I have one shirt that really should be ironed to make the collar look nice, but I just use my hair straightener.

JuanitaTortilla August 14, 2009 at 3:45 PM  

That's it. I want my own house! With a garage. What a clever use of the garage, and it is so organised!

Carolyn August 14, 2009 at 7:40 PM  

I love your garage! We have just moved so our garage still has a lot of boxes in it waiting to be unpacked but I'd love to do something similar - I'm pretty sure it's just going to end up a workshop though!

Khrista August 16, 2009 at 1:03 PM  

what a fun space! and so organized! :)


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP