Thursday, August 13, 2009

{routines n junk}

Photobucket

There are not many things in my life that can't be fixed with a hot bubble bath.
Add a candle, even better !

Last night, my brain was getting away from me. Thinking, planning, thinking, planning ...
and I couldn't keep track.
I had a headache too. I think because I didn't drink enough water.
And perhaps a bit too much sun ?

Anyway ... I needed to get the stuff out of my brain and onto a paper.
But I also needed to get rid of the headache !
SOLUTION :
hot bath, bubbles, candles, pad of paper, pens !

15 minutes later
my brain was still
my headache was lessened
and i was off to pack the lunches for tomorrow ...

I'm going to show you but I wanted to tell you all about my new night time routine.
I've always hated doing the dishes after dinner.
Ok, ok ... I always hate the dishes.
But especially after cooking dinner.
I cook dinners that take a bit of effort ... sometimes a lot of effort.
I do it because I love it.
But to have to do the dishes after has always been so discouraging.

A couple of months ago, Rory started doing the dishes after dinner !
Just out of the blue, he suggested that I have the dishwasher emptied before dinner
and he'd take care of the cleanup after dinner.

I'll tell you what ... it is wonderful !
I wake up every morning to a shiny clean kitchen and I didn't have to clean it !!

One thing that Rory has always hated doing is packing his lunch.
We've tried different things but really ... he just wanted me to do it ! :)
I don't mind doing it but the problem always was that I would be too tired after cooking
and then cleaning up to even think about packing lunches at night
and he leaves WAY TOO EARLY for me to do his
in the morning.

So ... this week, I started doing all of our lunches, at night.
And it works wonderfully !!

There's no scurrying around in the mornings anymore !!

And I pack much healthier lunches this way !

Here's the whole lot so you can see ...

Photobucket

I made a big fruit salad at the beginning of the week. It lasted three days.
This is the first time I've done that, I'll definitely be doing it again.
It was so easy to just grab the big container and scoop it into each of our boxes !

I also try to incorporate as many leftovers as possible.

Here's the kids lunches for tomorrow ...
The spaghetti is leftover from earlier in the week.
The foccacia from last night's dinner.
They have fruit salad,
"greek" salad ... it's just tomato, kalamata olives, feta cheese and yellow bell pepper chunks,
a hard boiled egg, and a yogurt.

Photobucket

My lunch is similar to the kids, except I'm having leftover spaghetti with the leftover sauce.
And I'm having crackers instead of foccacia. And no yoghurt.

Rory needs a much bigger lunch.
He works loooooooooooooong hours.
He has lasagna that I pulled out of the freezer.
A ham sandwich.
The tomato/lettuce are to put on the sandwich at work.
(I keep 'em separate ... who likes a soggy sandwich ?!)
Fruit salad, hard boiled egg, crackers, and a bar.

Photobucket

And here we are ... all stacked up in the fridge, ready to go in lunchboxes in the morning !

Photobucket

27 comments:

Mrs. Wallace August 13, 2009 at 2:29 AM  

Brilliant as usual! :-)

Kari August 13, 2009 at 4:05 AM  

Oh man you're good!!. Those bath times are good for you!!
Great idea to pack lunches the night before.

susanv August 13, 2009 at 4:17 AM  

where did you get those handy dandy lunch containers (the four-divider ones)?

Great ideas!!

Cheri August 13, 2009 at 4:23 AM  

I always pack the kids lunches the night before also. When the kids are in school I always make all the sandwiches on Sunday and freeze them. That way when I'm putting the rest of the lunches together I can just grab a sandwich out of the freezer and it saves a lot of time.

Sarah August 13, 2009 at 5:15 AM  

I'm back and getting caught up on all my reading - and I just have to ask where you got those great containers????? Those are awesome - I am so thinking about packing the kids lunches the night before - and I homeschool! But, it will sure make a difference in our day.

A Captured Reflection August 13, 2009 at 5:38 AM  

I'm with you with the dishes and the kitchen...not my favourite job and there always seem to be plates piling up. That is my designated role (seems the rest of the tribe are more adverse than me!), but for us we have nights where hubby cooks, and we take turns going grocery shopping.

It really is a key finding what works and sharing those chores, hubby likes grocery shopping so that's cool

You rock Bon!

Mari August 13, 2009 at 6:06 AM  

I've always done lunches at night too, even now that it's just Bob and I.
I love the lunch containers - where did you get them?

Terri August 13, 2009 at 8:01 AM  

I do the lunches the night before too. It sure helps in the morning. But you make some really GOOD lunches. Making them the night before does end up a lot healthier too.

Cate August 13, 2009 at 11:42 AM  

awesome. my husband and i have the same arrangement for the cooking/dishes. he won't let me pack his lunch yet, though. sigh. i think that, when my kids go to school, i will be doing a lot of nighttime packing.

JuanitaTortilla August 13, 2009 at 4:03 PM  

You are so organised! And what a healthy selection of lunches. Super Mum!

Khrista August 13, 2009 at 5:03 PM  

AWESOMENESS! I too hate clean up after laboring over dinner. In recent months David has been helping clean up after and I pack his lunch for him :) I don't mind the trade off! ;) We both get out of the kitchen at the same time and can relax together! I love it!
Your lunches look way more awesome than his though! ha! His is always leftovers, or microwave burritos! :) I'd love to know where you got your containers as well!

Dana August 13, 2009 at 5:03 PM  

Oh, to be so organized! I'm usually running around like a crazy woman in the morning and hope to remember to grab something out of the freezer to take in for lunch! Luckily, my kiddo is fed at preschool!
Dana

Anonymous August 14, 2009 at 1:21 AM  

ack! I'm single and I still run around in the morning. The only reason I have a lunch today to grab is because it's leftover pasta from last night!

I love your lunch containers. Who made them and where can I find them?

caitlin August 14, 2009 at 2:10 AM  

Wow, super woman! No wonder you need those relaxing baths. Glad you have worked out such a great system. Great post!

Kayren August 14, 2009 at 12:56 PM  

Excellent planning!

Amy August 14, 2009 at 1:23 PM  

I really love that your honey just started to do the dishes for you... Bonnie what an awesome guy! He is a keeper just for that :) I am spoiled with one who does the same thing, and I am elated EVERY time! And that's alot.. but I hear ya on the dishes!

Thanks for all the great tips on lunches... I do it in the morning and it just makes for craziness... the whole do it at night tip is fabulous!

Way to love your family and honey well! I love that about you! You are such an inspiration :)

Vicki September 2, 2009 at 11:31 PM  

WOW - what a setup!! I only have to do two lunches and get overwhelmed. :)
I pack lunches the night before except for the sandwich - I don't like a soggy sandwich either.
My first question was going to be PLEASE tell me where you got those four sectioned containers!! I see I'm not the only one who wants to know. I hope you'll share. I've seen all these posts about Bento boxes and would love to use this method. Thanks!! :)

Beth September 2, 2009 at 11:32 PM  

I also would love to know where you got those great containers for your lunches.

*found your blog via Tip Junkie!

Beth

Brenda September 3, 2009 at 12:17 AM  

Love your organizations! Teh lunches look great! Thanks for sharing!

Found you on Tip Junkie! ;)
Come by and visit!

Happy to meet you!
Brenda

Danitza September 3, 2009 at 1:39 AM  

Where did you find those fantastic tupperwares with the individual sections?

Andrea, September 3, 2009 at 2:49 AM  

Saw this on Tip Junkie.

Same question as previous comments. Where did you get those containers?

mistressof funk September 3, 2009 at 4:19 AM  

Found this on tip junkie too. Love the ideas and the divided containers, where do you get them?

Andrea, September 3, 2009 at 8:28 AM  

Thanks for the comment and the links. :o)

artisticblend September 4, 2009 at 2:15 AM  

Wonderful! Thanks for the great tips. And yes, where did you find those sectioned containers?!

Young Wife November 24, 2009 at 8:19 AM  

My husband has arthritis and we try to limit his animal protein consumption. I can do meatless dinners just fine, but I'm having trouble with meatless lunches. Maybe the hardboiled eggs would be good. Thanks!

Sara August 10, 2010 at 3:43 PM  

Seems like everyone loved the plastic containers you used to pack all the lunches, but I couldn't find a reply as to where you got them. Would LOVE to know. Thanks!

Bonnie August 10, 2010 at 7:35 PM  

Hi Sara ... I did this post

http://bonnie-simple-beauty.blogspot.com/2009/08/this-and-that.html

a few days later that show where I bought these ...

Hope that helps ! :)


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP