Friday, April 24, 2009

My Dad, the blogger

Photobucket

What does Yesh Li Blog mean ?

"We would translate (i.e. interpret) yesh li blog to mean "I have a blog" in English, but the literal Hebrew means "There is for (or to) me a blog." You cannot literally say "I have" something or other in Hebrew. It is always "there is for me," or "there is for you," or "there is for us," etc. Hebrew, the language of the Bible, is showing us that we are really stewards of what has been provided for us and for our use. Rather than private ownership, perhaps a better term for what we "own" would be private stewardship.

Languages have been my passion since at least the fourth grade, when I studied Spanish from a library book called Fun with Spanish. In high school, I was the rara avis that became enamored of Latin. In later U.S. Navy tours of duty in Spain, Italy, and Japan, we did our best to learn the local languages. Along the way, I studied some Russian and picked up some Greek by studying etymologies and some Chinese by studying Japanese writing systems.

My first introduction to Hebrew was in the early 1980s, when I took a correspondence course, but it was not until the past decade that my primary focus has been on this wondrous language. It has been deeply rewarding, and especially in the past few years since we met Ori, an amazing Israeli woman, who has become not only my primary Hebrew mentor but also our good friend. Moreover, the small group of people who meet weekly to study Torah in Hebrew in Boulder have become dear to us and enriched our lives greatly. Further, reading Jewish commentaries on the Web of the weekly Torah portions has deepened my own faith and opened up new understandings of the scriptures we share and of Christian writings based on those scriptures.

The pursuit of words has been an essential part of my life for many years (since birth?). Many things have changed in my life, but I don't see that part of it changing any time soon (until death?). Lehitraot! Shalom, Chaverim!"


I love that my Dad has a blog. I love what he has to share and what I learn each time I go there. I love the old photos he digs up of my siblings and myself for the birthday posts he does for us each year ! I love his knowledge of words. His love of language. The fun stuff he and my Mom like to do together. Bed and Breakfasts. Opera.

Seriously, my parents know how to live life to the fullest !

Always have.

Check them out ... this was in 1978. I think this could be my all time favorite photo ...

Photobucket

Aren't they cute ?

Yeah ! I think so too !

Every blogger knows how fun it is to get comments ...
I wonder, would ya'll pop over to Yesh Li Blog and say g'day to my Dad ?
Make sure you stay for a bit and have a look around, you're sure to learn something new !!

3 comments:

Mari April 24, 2009 at 12:19 PM  

I will - I've been there before and I think your Dad is pretty cool too!

Sabba and Nanny April 24, 2009 at 1:13 PM  

Wow. Who are those youngsters? This has to be one of my favorite pictures of us, too. Thanks, Bon. Love, Dad

Kayren April 24, 2009 at 2:00 PM  

I love that photo, too. You know, your mom's shirt would be in style today I think.

I'm going to check your dad out. He sounds awful smart. I'm a math girl, not a language girl, so this might be rough on me. :)


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP