Thursday, March 12, 2009

Let The List Making Begin !!!

Photobucket

If you know me well in real life, or are a long time reader of my blog, you will know that I am a list maker. I have lists for everything ! Beyond just lists ... I have books of lists !! Seriously, sometimes I feel like I need a list to keep track of my lists ! You can only imagine that the thought of moving in 30 days has kicked my list making into overdrive ! Actually, it's not as bad as it could (and probably will) be !! Ha.

My friend Toni keeps insisting that I do a "30 days of packing" series. I've been thinking about her suggestion and think I will do something along those lines. I do not intend to be packing for 30 days though so I think I'll call it "30 days of moving house" ....

I'll take you along on the journey of moving from this house to the next. I can't guarantee that it will be 30 days, or that it will be exciting (ha ha !!) but I'll try to include hints and tips. Photos and systems. And keep you informed. I'll probably for sure be asking questions too ! One thing I love about blogging is the wealth of knowledge out there !! You all are such a great resource and you better believe I'll be tapping into it !! :)

First question is this ... where do you get boxes for moving ? Does anyone have any suggestions ? Any great resources ? Any boxes they don't need any more ....

I'm going to be hitting up my favorite fruit shop because they always have a great big stack of boxes out the front that you are able to take. I'm going to go to a big electrical store that has boxes out back that you can take as well. I'll see what I can get from the grocery store and I already got one from work ... we bought a new microwave and I scored the box !!

So ... wanna see my scarf ? I finally finished the one I started in Colorado !! I like it. What do you think ? Of the scarf ... not of the photo of me wearing it !! Do you know how hard it is to take a good photo of yourself ????

Photobucket

I almost just posted this one ... my three finished scarves sitting on the dresser in our bedroom ! My scarves don't have a home yet. But ... I'm not real interested in giving them one here since we will be moving soon !!!!!!

Photobucket

Well, friends, I must bring this post to a close ! I'm off to knit some more !! I had to pull my shawl out. I dropped a stitch and couldn't figure out how to fix it !! Eeeek ! I hate that about being a beginner knitter !! Oh well ... I won't be a beginner forever !

Don't forget ... boxes ... suggestions ....

And I'll see you back here tomorrow for Perspective: The World As My Kids See It ...

10 comments:

Cheri March 12, 2009 at 10:20 PM  

The scarf looks great!
I think you're on the right track with your fruit market. I would go to my grocery store or a moving company.

Mrs. Wallace March 13, 2009 at 1:37 AM  

LOVE The scarf! and don't forget...the best knitters are the best rippers! I haven't finished my scarf because I had to stop to make baby blankets...I have 5 good friends pregnant and 2 other gals in my bible study pregnant. That's A LOT OF BLANKETS!! Finding time to knit between work, and youth group, and sleeping is getting hard. As for moving...you probably already know more about packing than anyone...having done so much of it in your life. But my tips are A. get someone else to pack for you! or if that isn't an optin :-)...B. LABEL EVERYTHING!!! Label what room to put it in AND what is in the box. Very helpful for when you NEED something unexpectedly right when you get to the house and haven't had a minute to unpack yet...you can find it in a snap :-)

Kath March 13, 2009 at 1:42 AM  

I have a lot of boxes on my back porch......

Kath March 13, 2009 at 2:03 AM  

I really do, cause different people have expressed desires to take them and have yet to pick them up...probably cheaper to find boxes in your own hemisphere, though! Local moving takes fewer boxes than trans-continental moving or even city to city, so my advice is to box as little as you really need to. Packing at one end necessitates unpacking at the other! Knitting tip for today-it's is quite possible that your dropped stitch wasn't fixable. Without a doubt, always have a look to see if you can weave a dropped stitch up, but if it's not readily fixable, ripping is often the most economical use of your effort.....this holds true even after 50 years of knitting! Your grey scarf turned out very well, beautiful, even stitches...your tension is lovely! Isn't it funny that even tension can relieve evil tension?!

Kayren March 13, 2009 at 2:40 AM  

I don't even know where to start!

I love lists like crazy!!! Crazy, I tell you!

Taking a picture of yourself is so stinkin' hard. You did a fantastic job. I haven't figured out how to do a very good one because if you take it in a mirror it flashes, so you have to have the camera face you. At least that's the way it works for me.

You're a little too far away for my boxes to be any help. We had to buy ours because of how much we moved. Have you looked at all my moving posts from last summer/fall? We did a mostly DITY except for our very heaviest stuff. We moved 14,000 lbs of things from Virginia to Michigan...mostly boxes and bookshelves, or things that belonged in the bookshelf family. We still have all the boxes and I'm thinking of putting them on Craigslist here in the U.S. I'd give them to you if you came to get them...ha, ha...several hundred of them!

A Captured Reflection March 13, 2009 at 11:52 AM  

I am a list lady as well, seriously - lists for everything, things I do each day, need to do...yes totally!

I'm trying to remember what we did when we moved house for boxes...thinks...we had a lot of those plastic ones already from our first house move which were fab and we use them still and I could label them clearly.

I remember hovering around the check out at different supermarkets taking boxes as well!

Happy Packing, you must be sooo excited!!!

A Captured Reflection March 13, 2009 at 11:53 AM  

It's also a great time to have a sort out, like - do we really need this? I labelled things by room which helped no end (we moved ourselves to this house as we were only moving 5 mins drive away and hadn't sold the first house...so it was a progressive move - that was great!!

I think the rooms I found the hardest to pack were the kitchen (where does all the stuff come from?) and the Garage.

You will do fabulously I know it.

T'lia March 13, 2009 at 4:02 PM  

Hey Bon, When we moved I got boxes from my old work- John Love Electrical. They had PERFECT boxes for the job!

Terri March 14, 2009 at 1:58 PM  

I always got banana boxes from the grocery store. They worked great and had the covers with them.

Toni March 15, 2009 at 3:42 PM  

I love the fact you always have lists :D Its part of what makes you, You!

I'll see if I can rustle you up some boxes ;)

Beautiful scarf!


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP