Monday, January 18, 2010

Mah-Jongg


My family has a long history with Mah-Jongg ... my Dad wrote a post about it back in October.

I learned to play as a kid and I remember loving when the Mah-Jongg set
(or sometimes sets, if there were enough people)
came out at my Grandma's house !



We'd set up at card tables and play all afternoon.
I loved it. I still do.



My two have 'played' a couple of times when we've been at my parents house.
Usually on teams, although, I think Jono was able to hold his own last time we were there.



But yesterday, the four of us were able to play together.
Alia is finally old enough that she 'gets' it !
In fact, she mah-jongged TWICE !



I love coming from a family of game players !
And I love that our children love playing games as well !!

***

PS ... I've forgotten a few of the details. I'm hoping someone in the family will help me out ...

1. Is it Right In Left Out or the other way around when building the wall ?
2. Do you count clockwise or counter clockwise on the first roll ? (counting the walls)
3. Which way do you count the tiles on the second roll ?
4. Do you go backwards for the flower pile ?
5. If you already have punged, and someone puts down the 4th tile, can you pick it up or does it have to be the person beside you who lays it down ?

Ok ... that's it !
We were able to play ok without knowing the answers but I'd like to know we're doing it right !

8 comments:

Mari January 18, 2010 at 12:16 PM  

I've never played it with the tiles - only on computer, but it's fun!

Mrs. Wallace January 19, 2010 at 3:44 AM  

First of all Jono did not just hold his own when he played with us...he wiped the floor with us!!!

Now to answers:
1. never be left out. so right out left in.

2. clock wise

3. the tile counting goes clock wise too...so, if it's the wall across from you, you start counting at the left corner. Does that make sense?

4. always work your way in. So take your flower from the side that isn't closest to the end of the wall.

5. you can only pick it up if the person to your right lays it down.

AK - correct me if I'm wrong on any of this :-)

Kath January 19, 2010 at 5:57 AM  

First comment to Mari....have you played the game itself online or is it a form of mah jongg solitaire that many people play? Either way, any contact with mah jongg tiles is a good thing!

Kath January 19, 2010 at 6:09 AM  

Second comment to Bonnie and Pam.....we were talking about the strong Mah Jongg genes that Jono got at our mah Jongg marathon at the Estes house this weekend! Good to hear that the strain is strong in Alia too! (we had two tables going over the weekend....a joyous sight to see! Pam and Jill taught the two friends they brought along how to play, so we had 8, count 'em 8 people playing!) Pam answered all correctly....she has good genes, too! Only thing I'd add is to #4...should you have more flowers and kongs than you have tiles in the flower pile, you should draw from the back end of the real wall. I've only seen that happen once or twice in my life, though. When you do the passing for the goulash, I hope you are passing across first, then to East's right then to East's left, then one to everyone if East wants to continue. There is sometimes some confusion about that order.

Sabba and Nanny January 19, 2010 at 6:08 PM  

Love your Mah-Jongg post. I restrained myself from answering your questions to allow Pam and Mom to give their excellent responses (and to ensure I knew what I was talking about)!

;) January 20, 2010 at 11:32 PM  

This game is a mystery for me ! I'ld really like to learn to play !!!

Isabelle January 21, 2010 at 6:36 PM  

I love this game ... and I find the pieces so beautiful

Anonymous January 24, 2010 at 11:32 PM  

can you do a post on your families favorite games? That would make a great post. I am always wanting to try some new fun games.


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP