Friday, October 9, 2009

Life ... It's How You Live It.



All I can smell around here is the Jasmine. It is so beautiful. It covers the back fence on our "tuscan patio". This is the first spring that we've lived in this house and the first time we've seen it in blooom. It is glorious. Every time I open the window in this office, the smell just wafts in. It's not overpowering, just subtle and very soothing. Can you smell it ??

Photobucket

I've been making a few changes around here over the last couple of months. I like the results I am seeing. I'm sure I told you about our new nighttime routine. That is STILL working so well ! I'm thrilled.

Photobucket

Another change I've made is going to bed earlier. I had found myself in a pattern of not going to bed at the same time as Rory which left me staying up WAY too late. I'd be on facebook or reading blogs or playing games and the time would just get away from me. All fun stuff, all stuff I still do, but MUCH less now. And I'm in bed by 9:30 at the latest during the week. It's not that much later on the weekends though ... if we try to watch a movie, I inevitably fall asleep !!

Photobucket

I've made myself a basic morning routine that I've been able to stick to quite well. I get up at 5:00 and do my computer stuff until 6:30. I like getting this out of the way first ... otherwise, I'm wondering about it and distracted until I can get to it. Email and facebook are how I communicate with most of my family (since they live on the other side of the planet !) and I just love waking up and finding notes from them !!

At 6:30 I sit down with the rest of my cup of coffee (stone cold by now !) and my Bible. The kids are not usually up yet. But if they are I have them get a book or go do some coloring so the house is still quite quiet. I read until I'm finished. We don't have to leave the house until after 8:30 so I'm usually left with at least an hour. Since lunches are already packed, I just have to get them out of the fridge. I try to empty the dishwasher, water the garden, sometimes I do a load of laundry, make the bed, that kind of stuff. Oh yeah ... I also shower and get ready ! It really is so nice to not have to run around like a crazy lady. And you know ... I'm not grumpy either. You might think that I would be getting up that early, but not so. I love the slowness of our mornings ...

Photobucket

I decided too that I needed to NOT be on the computer as much as possible when my children are awake. I've really started making an effort to do stuff with them after school. I've only just started that this past week and I'll tell you, it has made a huge difference. Coupled with not letting them watch TV during the school week, I've seen incredible changes in both of them. What sort of stuff do we do ? Well Monday we sat at the dinning room table for a couple of hours writing snail mail (watch your mailboxes, I put FOUR letters in the mail to some of you just yesterday!) and playing with Alia's new spotz machine that she got for her birthday. Tuesday I took them to the toy store to spend Alia's birthday money and the money they got recently for washing/vacuuming the cars. Then we came home, put all the toys together and played. I can't tell you the last time I sat in the toy room and played with them ! It was fun. Wednesday it was raining and they hadn't watched the weekly movie they rented last week before I decided no TV. So ... I let them watch that. Yesterday we had some friends over for a play. Today ... well, Rory is usually able to come home early on a Friday afternoon so hopefully we'll get to do something fun with him !!!

Photobucket

It works well to spend an hour or two hanging with them. Talking. Just being together. I still have time to cook dinner while they are having baths and getting themselves ready for bed. After dinner, it's pretty much brush teeth and head towards bed. 7:30 is their bed time. Not their start to get ready for bed time ... but their in bed, lights out, done talking, going to sleep bed time. That leaves Rory and I two hours before ours ...

ANYHOO ... my computer time is up for this morning ... I've actually gone a bit over this morning writing this ... but that's ok. I do have the ability to be flexible too ... BUT, I am going to get off NOW.

Chow.

14 comments:

Sabba and Nanny October 9, 2009 at 7:20 AM  

I can't smell the jasmine, but almost!
Great post.
Ciao!

Liz M. October 9, 2009 at 7:55 AM  

i wish i could smell the jasmine! my house actually smells like curry at the moment, so that's a pretty good second choice.
I'm glad you're raising your kids to have imaginations instead of being tv zombies.
here's hoping one of those letters went to me! (translation: pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase send me some snail mail!)

A Captured Reflection October 9, 2009 at 9:38 AM  

I love the jasmine bushes, so pretty and fragrant (tries scratch and sniff with blog, but doesn't quite work, ha ha). I thought of you this morning actually. I am developing a lovely friendship with one of the school Mum's and turns out she gives art lessons and her painting is fantastic, I was agog looking at her work on the walls. I love having a creative friend like that. We both love writing too and for me photography and...anyway, ramble ramble...wanted to ask with your routines, do you fit in an exercise routine too?

I find that my challenge sometimes, like you I want to spend more time with the kids after School, so less computer time here too and juggling part-time work and friendships and the stuff of life.

I aim to exercise at least 45 mins a day and try to do it first thing in the morning, but sometimes it doesn't always work.

Sarah October 9, 2009 at 9:40 AM  

You, my friend, are an inspiration. I love your ideas, and love how it is working for you. I've been thinking about your day and how you have been keeping your priorities straight, and it is something I am reviewing for myself. Thanks for sharing how it is going for you.

I still find it so bizarre to have you heading into spring as we head into fall. :)

Palmer and Co October 9, 2009 at 9:44 AM  

This is so great, Bonnie!

The Jasmine is so dang beautiful! I can't even imagine the smell... amazing I'm sure!

Love all the changes you've made! I too have found myself lately re-prioritizing life. Still more that I need to do. Getting to bed early is a must for us! We are seriously a couple of old folks when it comes to bedtime. It's amazing how underrated sleep is! I could go on but need to get the birdies in the tub.

Fist snow today! Don't know if it even hit 40! Brrrr! Happy Spring to you!

andrafaye October 9, 2009 at 12:12 PM  

Thanks for sharing, Bonnie. This was great for me to read. Gives me something to try and work towards! Have you always been able to get up at 5? Is that when Rory gets up?
Any way you look at it, good for you! And your little honeys.
I used to be able to give myself a schedule...until Liam!
Here's to baby steps!

Khrista October 9, 2009 at 2:23 PM  

Your jasmine bushes are spectacular! I can only imagine how yummy they must smell! wow!

Kari October 10, 2009 at 1:19 AM  

That jasmine must smell so good.
Good on you for keeping to your early night routine - mine lasted only a week!. I still get up early but my body shuts down after a couple of consecutive days of late nights and early mornings.
I'm going to have to start again.
All your little changes are great.
Happy Weekend.

Amy October 10, 2009 at 6:45 AM  

Bonnie, thankyou for sharing all of this... I have had alot of the same perkin' in my heart... really really love reading how no TV during the week has changed your kids, and your time with them... that is so wonderful! I have started doing the same thing... my kids just seem more content to be together, and not grumpy.. seems like the TV just pulls every grumpy bone out of them.. don't you think?

Just love your heart.. always always love it! So glad we are friends too!!

hugs.. Amy

Amy October 10, 2009 at 6:46 AM  

oh oh... great shots too! Just lovely lovely... wish I could smell them!

Ida/FarEastLogbook October 10, 2009 at 12:34 PM  

That jasmine bush is just gorgeous. Lucky, lucky you!
I totally can relate to the 'too much time on the internet' issue. However much I love reading blogs I try to cut it down as much as possible because time just flies by way too quick on the internet (I want to be able to do other things as well). Maybe I'll follow your example and mostly be on the internet in the morning. Such a good idea!

Anonymous October 10, 2009 at 5:51 PM  

wow you have everything planned out, it sounds so nice...I'm not sure I could do that with our lives. But when we fostered Dawson I sure did make a schedule. Wrote it out on a large poster board and hung it in the bathroom, his bathroom, so we all knew what was expected. It worked wonders!

But since Jeff can not provide me with a work schedule then I can not make a schedule. Because my schedule revolves around his! hehe

So I do what I have to do until he gets home or lets me know what he needs from me. I'm his personal Assistant :)

Nice flowers! I can only imagine how wonderful they must smell.

Now that we have a padio we can USE. I SO want to put flowers out there, that we too can smell!!! Can't wait till the Spring.

ps. I have internet :D

Amy October 11, 2009 at 3:55 AM  

oh oh... have something for ya at my blog, Bon!

Come and see! Come and see!

;)

Amy

Stacy October 15, 2009 at 12:02 AM  

What a wonderful routine! Sounds like a great way to slow down and enjoy the time passing and your family. I need to do that. I am not a morning person, though, so I don't think I could manage to get up at 5am. Wow...that is early!


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP