Tuesday, September 1, 2009

slowing down {snail mail}

Photobucket


I've talked to you before about my efforts to slow life down, about not rushing through as fast as humanly possible. I'm not going to kid you. My life gets busy. Sometimes it gets really really busy but how we live in that busy is important to me. And being able to slow down, being intentional about slowing down, within the busy is one of the things that helps me be able to do what I do.

I've talked with a lot of women over the years who feel like, if they are not doing something productive, they should be. They should be cleaning, or cooking, or something ... all the time. I disagree. I think that life needs a balance. There should be times of quiet. Of rest. Of stillness. Of slowing down. Yes, even for Moms ....

People often say to me "how do you find the time?" the time to blog, the time to take art lessons, the time to .... whatever it may be. The simple answer is that I don't find the time. I make the time. I'm intentional about doing things that I enjoy. About pursuing interests that I have. About sharing them with my children and encouraging and enabling them to pursue theirs.

And with Rory too. I think it is important to encourage him in his sporting interests. Having him out a couple nights a week is a small price to pay for knowing that he is doing what he loves. Recently, I've started going and watching him play. Taking an interest in his interests ... making the time. Being intentional.

Don't get me wrong, I also make the time to do the things I am responsible for doing. I do not live in a filthy house. My family is fed nutritiously and deliciously every meal, day after day. I play with the kids. I work. I research. I shop. I organize. I garden. The list goes on but I'm sure you all know that ... because you have a list of your own !!

But I'm getting side tracked ...

One of the most recent things I've started doing in my efforts to slow down, is writing snail mail. You know, not e-mail. Pen, paper, envelopes, stamps. Remember ?? There are few things in life that bring me as much joy as finding a letter, written just for me, in my mail box. I'm serious. It is one of the best gifts you could give me. The first two letters I wrote went to each of my grandma's. Two amazing women who have inspired me and encouraged me and impacted my life in ways few others have been able to. Letters # 3 and #4 have not arrived at their destinations yet so I won't tell you where they are going ... but, watch your mail box ... they might just be coming to you !!

I need to go but before I do, tell me, what things do you do to slow down ?

17 comments:

Mari September 1, 2009 at 9:48 AM  

I love that you are writing letters. They are the best kind to receive! I've enjoyed slowing down while on vacation and now I have to continue some of that!

A Captured Reflection September 1, 2009 at 10:04 AM  

I have had to slow down due to not being able to do so much these days, but having to slow down has been good for me in many respects.

My parents don't have a computer, so I regularly write snail mail letters to them and it's quite fun filling the packages with treats, art work from the kids, photos and a big fat letter.

You are enjoying your life, that shines through. Carpe Diem!

Khrista September 1, 2009 at 10:24 AM  

I knit to slow down...and I used to send my mom a letter every week for a while. Not anymore. Letter writing/receiving is one of my favorite things!!! My best friend and I when we were 12/13 and I lived in Japan used to write almost daily! We would decorate the envelopes with stickers and markers, stick a piece of gum in the envelope...Such fun!

Joyce September 1, 2009 at 11:35 AM  

I love writing and getting letters in the mail. As for slowling down I usually spend time with my love, and simply relax and enjoy a bit of nature. xoxo

Kayren September 1, 2009 at 1:23 PM  

My cousin used to send me letters. She was always the letter writer of our generation. I can remember my grandma and my great-grandma sending each other a letter every week. I always enjoyed reading them when I visited my grandma. I still have letters from my great-grandma and my great-aunt from when I was a kid. I also have a few from when I was in college from my grandma.

I don't slow down enough. I need to find a way. When I do, I'll get back with you.

Anonymous September 1, 2009 at 3:09 PM  

snail mail? I use to have so many pen pals and I loved it! The last 'real' letter i wrote was to my Mom and the one before that, to her Mom.

i have had rough nights. Staying up till I can't any longer and napping a lot through out the day. i woke up from tonight's nap bawling my eyes out. i drempt that I was hugging my dying Grandma...the one I wrote that letter too last Halloween?!?! I could only recognize her from her one eye. She has cancer and still smokes a ton, so I haven't seen her since she came over for a visit in January. I miss her~

Letters are good.
I'm not sure how you could send me one though, so I don't expect it. But if you do and/or have, COOL! And I would ask: however did you find me? lol

The time I take to just be usually occurs during my breakfast. I sit, eat, and stare.

I admire you and how you MAKE the time so many Moms don't~that is something you NEED to do especially as a Mom! I think. so GFY!!!

Kari September 1, 2009 at 3:53 PM  

You are so right. It's not that we don't have time-because we all have the same hours in a day but it is about being intentional.
Great post.

I wrote a letter yesterday to my parents. It was a great way to slow down.

Anonymous September 1, 2009 at 4:14 PM  

Letters are lovely. I have plenty of penpals so I write letters very often. It's wonderful to get letters by snail mail. It feels a lot nicer than receiving an e-mail. I also love postcards. Writing, making and buying them is one thing I do to slow down. Photographing is one great way too.

This was a great post. I often feel like I am so so busy with school and everything but after all I am not. I just use the time quite badly usually. It would be good to slow down oftener and do the things I really enjoy.

Ms Muffin September 1, 2009 at 4:27 PM  

Oh, I loved reading this post. It is so right. And I do love getting real mail - letters or even packages. (Of course not the ones with bills or the ones you ordered ...) I almost never get them nowadays - but to be honest, I also alsmost never send them. Which is kinda sad!
I am planning (have this in my had already for a while) to get my daughter (she is four) more involved in writing postcards and letters. I will try to have a weekly "mail-writing-day" in the future ... Maybe I should not just let my daughter write but do some writing of my own! :-)

Cate September 1, 2009 at 9:53 PM  

snail mail is the best. is there anything better than getting an actual, real, handwritten letter these days? before my gran died, we wrote back and forth to one another.

and, yes, i agree that you have to make time to do, not just the things that keep the household going, but the things that keep YOU going as well. for me, it's sewing. it's my meditation. and, because i've got so much more to learn, i even have beginner's mind.

lovely post, bonnie. will definitely carry your words with me today.

Terri September 1, 2009 at 11:05 PM  

What a great idea. There is nothing better than a nice letter in the mail instead of bills. That's one joy I find in Christmas - getting lovely Christmas cards in the mail!

Palmer and Co September 2, 2009 at 12:48 AM  

Perfect post!

jane September 2, 2009 at 1:21 AM  

amen sister! you are an inspiration to us all! ok i´m off to catch up with you! sending you a big hug! besos-jane

Mrs. Wallace September 2, 2009 at 1:40 AM  

You wrote me a snail mail letter my freshman year of college...I felt SOOOO special! I read that letter over and over and still have it in my little box of special memories. :-) What do I do to slow down?? Most of the time I don't...but I'm working on it. I'm gonna practice in Hawaii and bring back some good tips ;-) Most of the time slowing down for me means knitting.

Amy September 2, 2009 at 11:43 AM  

Hi Bonnie!

Girl forgive me, I am so behind with my favorite blog buddies! Heesh!

ok, So loved your post on slowing down tho! Really makes me think of some of the things that I do... I think what is 'easy' is zoning out on the computer or tv.. not that that is bad, but it can't be the only thing that one does to nurture and take care of your heart. It actually doesn't take care and nurture your heart. I found that to be true, all by myself!

so, hmmmm... this past year has been a year of overcoming food addiction and coming fully alive to who it is God has created me to be.. so it's been really interesting to say the least..

When I think of slowing down, I think of things that truely bring me joy, and fill my heart.. beauty... I love worship... and man, there is just nothing like taking the time to sit at my piano and worship my God... that truely fills me.
I think photography has been a new passion that I really enjoy! I don't enjoy the editing all the time tho..lol! BUT I love the photography part.

Beautiful post! You really have me thinking... hmmmmmm

Hugs.. Amy

Amy September 2, 2009 at 11:45 AM  

oh oh... and just taking the time to read... that's one more thing...

:)

Sarah September 3, 2009 at 1:04 AM  

Bonnie,

What a thought provoking post. I don't feel like I slow down much - but need to improve on that. I love to read, so that is one way I take some time. We recently got some kayaks too, so that allows us time to get out into God's creation and enjoy - when we can find the time to do it!

Always room for improvement!


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP