Wednesday, September 2, 2009

this is my box {i never travel without my box}

I don't really travel without this box, I just couldn't write this is my box without writing the next line of the song. It's a song from my childhood. From a play we saw "Amahl and the Night Visitors" ... You can listen to a minute of it here (including the line I'm talking about !!) Seriosuly, how cool is the internet ???

Anyway ... we're talking about MY BOX today ... I'm not sure where it came from but I have had it for a long time. It has a lock but the key is long gone. My box has been home to many things but for a good number of years now it has housed my favorite memorabilia. I spent a few hours the other day going through it all. Oh it was so much fun. It's like this flood of memories. Childhood. Teenage years. Wedding. Spain. Canada. Japan. Russia. Ohio. Maryland. Italy. Bulgaria. Hawaii. Colorado. Family. Friends. Sports. Postcards. Poetry. Lots of fun stuff ...

And so many stories.

Photobucket

In my box, there are also many little boxes. Those who know me well, or who have known me for a long time, will remember my motto from my teenage years ... "Every box is another step towards organization !" I LOVE BOXES !! My Aunt Lissa made me this box years and years ago. It is a treasure to me ...

Photobucket

Inside this little box is a variety of other little treasures. Shells from various beaches all over the world. A cork. A little whistle. A couple of small silver balls. A pic. Truth be told, I have no memory of any of the items besides the shell that looks like a flower ... Can you see it ? Just next to the cork.

Photobucket

The photo was taken in Italy. It is my and my brother and my sister and our friend. We have recently been reunited with this friend and her family on facebook. Oh how I love facebook ! We've had a few days of photos from this time period and comments and discussions and it is so great to be in touch again !! Have I mentioned recently how cool the internet is ?!

Thanks for all the great comments on my slowing down post from yesterday ... ya'll have some great ways that you slow down too ! And who knew there were so many of us who loved getting letters in our mailbox ??

I'm heading over to the Studio blog. I've been posting regularly there if you'd like to check it out ! There is even some of my work up there now ...

8 comments:

Betsy Brock September 2, 2009 at 7:58 AM  

Lovely! I'm a box person, too!...and shell person! ;)

Mari September 2, 2009 at 8:28 AM  

I love boxes too! Yours is great!

Liz M. September 2, 2009 at 9:23 AM  

I have a box too! I just went through it the other day 'cause I was looking for something and I had a wonderful time remembering...

Anonymous September 2, 2009 at 2:52 PM  

learning about your box reminded me a little of Mary Poppins...I imagined that this box had no bottom! And that you could store SO much in it :) Is that really a flower shaped shell? Crazy weird if it is!!!

Today my husband was looking at images from space, Google has taken...and what was so amazing was that the province of Alberta has a mountain that is shaped like the side of an African lady's head from the neck up! There's an FSR that goes up this mountain that from space, looks exactly like this "lady" is wearing an ear bud, as if she's listening to her Ipod. THAT TOO was oddly strange to see today!!

likeschocolate September 3, 2009 at 4:54 AM  

Don't you just love facebook.

Palmer and Co September 4, 2009 at 12:52 PM  

Wonderful treasures!

Kayren September 4, 2009 at 1:03 PM  

This is really neat. I love boxes too. I have a wooden one of my grandpa's that has a lot of his really old memories in it. I enjoyed seeing all your treasures.

Sabba and Nanny September 6, 2009 at 4:11 AM  

I find it interesting that everyone focused on the box, whereas all I could think about was "Amahl and the Night Visitors." To complete the line on the sample:

"In the third drawer I keep, black, sweet licorice, black, sweet licorice. Have some!"


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP