Monday, October 27, 2008

Sharing Menu Plans


One thing that really helps me in keeping my life simple is menu planning. I plan for a week at a time. I try to shop for a week at a time as well, but that doesn't always work. This week, I'm determined that it will ! I even got a can of fruit salad so that we can eat that at the end of the week when we run out of fresh fruit !

I have been planning menus for many years now. I can tell such a difference in the weeks that I do plan to the weeks that I don't. Our budget, nutrition and my sanity all suffer when I don't plan our menus !

Planning once a week means I am in the grocery store less. I love to grocery shop but I tend to spend more than I need to each time I go in. The fewer times I go in, the less I spend ! It's true !

Planning once a week means I am not stressed about what to eat each night. It means we eat out less because there is always something yummy on the menu ... I am the one planning it, after all !

Planning once a week means I can plan ahead for days that I know are going to be busy. Those days usually have a meal in the crock pot cooking away and ready when we all get home !

Planning once a week means I am able to plan nutritious meals for my family. I don't get stuck in a rut of cooking the same old un-healthy fall back meals night after night !! It also means that I don't need to feel guilty cooking homemade pizza most Friday nights for our family 'pizza and a movie' tradition because I know we've eaten healthy all week long !

Planning once a week means I can plan inexpensive meals as necessary to help keep the budget under control.

In January, I started posting my weekly menu plans to my cooking blog ~ The Beans Blog. You can pop over and check out what we're eating this week by clicking HERE. Keeping my menus online has been very helpful as I can go back and look at what we've had previously. I participate in Menu Plan Monday as well. A great resource for planning menus. Bloggers world wide link in each Monday at a website called "I'm an Organizing Junkie". There are over 300 posts each week. I probably visit 10 or 12 each week just to see what's cooking ! I have found some great blogs that way ! And some great meal ideas.

Planning menu's takes a little bit of time each week, but the peace of mind, the savings in both money, sanity and time make it well worth the effort !

"You do not like it. So you say. Try it ! Try it ! And you may. Try it and you may, I say."
~ Sam I Am, Green Eggs and Ham ... Loosely Quoted !!

4 comments:

Mari October 27, 2008 at 8:06 PM  

I'm a menu planner too. I do it for 2 weeks at a time, because that's how I buy my groceries. Bob gets paid every 2 weeks, so it works out that way. I've been doing this for years and it's a lifesaver for the same reasons you mentioned.

Christina October 27, 2008 at 11:11 PM  

I agree, planning a menu is essential. But I plan and buy every for two weeks at a time - every payday!

Stacy October 27, 2008 at 11:37 PM  

I try to be a menu planner, and when I know what I'm cooking the days go much smoother. We are trying to conserve the funds these days, so I have been working on what is in the pantry and freezer and buying the bare minimum. I've got a nice list of things I am out of for the grocery store, but I'm trying to hold off as much as possible. I have been picking up milk, eggs and bread at the minimum, though. We haven't eaten out for dinner in it least 4 weeks now (with the exception of a going away dinner with friends). Not even fast food - we are bringing our lunches for work, too. I have noticed a big impact on the credit card. :)

Cherdecor October 28, 2008 at 9:44 AM  

Tonight I made a pot of Hoppin John Chowder. The men love this pot of food! I have no idea how many days this will last but they will be happy for a while. I cannot eat it.
I will find cereal or something to eat. That is the way it usually is here. My grocery is around the corner so I am spoiled. I don't bother to plan.

However, I did get convicted today and cleaned out my cupboards. Yes, I found a can of mandarin oranges from 2006 and it was about to explode! YIKES! Maybe I better start planning.


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP