Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Dice Game


You will need:
7 dice. Paper. Pen. People.

To Score:
1 = 100 points
5 = 50 points

3 of a kind = the number times 100 so ...

3 twos = 200
3 threes = 300
3 fours = 400
3 fives = 500
3 sixes = 600

BUT 3 ones = 1000 !

Ok ... you might want to print that out to help you remember. I still have the napkin that I wrote those numbers on years ago when Todd and Julie taught us this game !

To Play:

Roll all 7 dice. Set aside the ones that have a score. For example ... you might have two fives, a one and three sixes. Set them aside. Total them up. Each 5 = 50 so that's 100. Plus 100 for your one so you're at 200. Then 600 for your three sixes puts you at 800. With this role, you will have one dice left. You can either roll it again or "bank" your score. If you roll it again and do not get something worth any points, you lose all the points from that turn. But, if you roll, say, a one or a five ... you add that to your points and then you have the choice of rolling all the dice again or "banking" your score. You can keep rolling until you want to keep your score or until the dice you roll don't have any scoring value. When your turn is finished, you will have either "banked" a score, or not had one ! First person to 10,000 ( or whatever you decide ) wins.

Does that make sense ?

It really is a fun game to play ... at seven, Jono is able to play quite well. Alia, who is five, still doesn't quite get the strategy but has fun playing ! When they were smaller, they were quite happy just to have a turn rolling the dice !!

The only other thing you need to know is that in order to "bank" your first score, it needs to equal at least 750 points !

I did a search to try and find the rules for this on-line. I didn't find them however, I did stumble upon this little gem! A website full of dice games for kids ! We'll be trying some of these soon, possibly as soon as tonight !!


8 comments:

Sabba and Nanny October 21, 2008 at 5:02 PM  

Sounds good. We'll have to play when you guys are here.

Mari October 21, 2008 at 8:16 PM  

What fun!

Christina October 21, 2008 at 11:26 PM  

Sounds like fun! N is a little young for it now, but I'll have to keep it in mind for a couple years from now!

Sandra October 22, 2008 at 8:12 AM  

Oh this looks like so much fun.

Demara October 22, 2008 at 8:24 AM  

Hmmm...perhaps Jeff and I will have to try it sometime. It sounds a bit like Yahtzee. Have you played that before?

Liz M. October 23, 2008 at 3:54 AM  

I know this game!! My friends taught it to me, but they called it 10,000. It's super fun, and especially great 'cause it's something that can be played whilst chatting.

Nika October 28, 2008 at 4:59 PM  

I have heard this game called Farkle and there are lots of variations. My husbands Mennonite family tell me that this game is Dutch, but what do I know. I keep some dice in an empty 35mm film canister in my purse for moments of boredom. Even little kids can play this because they just have to roll, and you can tally their score. Very cool!

Jennifer December 28, 2008 at 1:51 PM  

My Mennonite family calls this game "ver nuscht", which means "for nothing". We were looking for the rules, thanks!


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP