Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Freezer Pantry ?


We recently bought a new fridge. We love our new fridge. It's the first new fridge we've ever owned ! Rory was given our old fridge a year before we got married ... It was OLD when we got it, but it served us well.  We have been thinking for a few years to get a new one and finally this last month, bit the bullet and did it. 

In the year leading up to this decision though, the freezer part of the fridge died.  Sort of.  It wasn't working properly but it also wasn't totally dead.  But, I'm a member of freecycle and we were able to get a stand up freezer to use instead.  Totally free.  Gotta love that ! 

When we bought the new fridge, we decided to turn off this old freezer as well because we think it chews up the electricity and our electric bill drives us crazy.  So stinkin' expensive !  So ... we are trialing it.  Trailing it to see if the electric bill goes down or not and trialing to see if the new freezer is big enough without this old one too ...

Our kitchen isn't big on storage space ... or maybe we have too much to store.  That is probably more true.  But, I love to cook.  I keep many different ingredients on hand and I have a truck load of appliances that I USE !  I don't keep ones that I don't use ....

So, the garage holds the extra storage, just around the corner from our kitchen.  The white two door cupboard that you see in the photo below is my overflow kitchen storage.  It stores the rice cooker, the breadmaker, the sandwich press, the toaster, the toaster oven, the coffee pot that Rory's parents use when they visit, the percolator, the yoghurt maker, the george foreman grill (another freecycle acquisition) and it used to store all the cans, jams, mustards, unopened snack foods, etc.  

BUT NOW !!!  Now look ....


All of those things are stored in the old freezer !!!!  I let it dry out for a week and then I was looking at the empty shelves thinking it was a shame not to use the space and then it came to me ....


And I love it !!!!  It's the perfect solution !  Plus ... I love to re-purpose things !  And I love it when the kids say "where are the Ritz crackers ?" and I say "in the freezer ! "  ha ha.

Are you a re-purposer ?  What have you re-purposed lately ?  I'd love to know !

**

Edited 12 December to add this link ...

Weekend Bloggy Reading

I'm heading over now to see what other people have linked up as their best post of the week !
Already I've seen a really cute post about fun fun advent calendars !

**

PS ... don't tease me about the number of St. Dalfour jams in there !  We only eat that jam and it's not cheap.  SO I BUY IT ON SALE !   A month ago they had a crazy crazy sale and I bought 10 jars !!  Rory always teases me that we are running low ....

6 comments:

Mari December 6, 2011 at 8:39 AM  

You are brilliant!
I stockpile when things are on sale too.
Now I hope your electric bill goes down. :)

Julie Bellot December 6, 2011 at 2:45 PM  

I stockpile too and a couple years ago there were a million coupons for dish soap and it went on SALE so we were getting huge bottles of dish soap for $.50 or $.75. . . I'm about halfway through my supply and our jokes the same: When you're at the store, I think we're about out of dishsoap!

Karyn Taylor-Moore December 7, 2011 at 7:32 PM  

I love your freezer-pantry Bonnie. What a fabulous idea!

Bones December 8, 2011 at 4:40 AM  

I didn't know about freecycle. Thanks for introducing it to me :)
A visitor from Saskatoon

Bones December 8, 2011 at 8:29 AM  

Hi Bonnie, try saying my city and province together... Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Do not consume alcohol while trying to say it together ;)

suzanne cabrera December 14, 2011 at 11:01 AM  

Very smart! Can't say I've seen this before :D


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP