Tuesday, August 11, 2009

{show and tell}


I got lots of reading done yesterday !! I read THIS one in it's entirety. Started THIS one but it wasn't that great. Glad I only paid $5 for it ! I also started reading another book but that is a topic for another post ...

I had grand plans this morning to write a long post but in the end have spent most of the morning helping Jono do his show and tell that we ALMOST ALWAYS forget is on Tuesdays !! Sheesh ...

This week, he has to present poems. One written by him, one written by someone else. The theme is gardens. He decided to write an Acrostic Poem and I found the coolest website that led him through the process of writing the poem ... I found it because I didn't know what an acrostic poem was !! (don't tell my Dad !) :) I now know !

And can I just ask ... what did parents do before GOOGLE !?!?! Seriously !!!

Here's Jono's Poem

Gardens
Always Growing
Right Up To The Sky
Dirt Is Needed
Excellent Plants
New Growth
Sweet Strawberries

I searched for poems by other people but my goodness ...everything was so depressing ! So ... his poem by someone else is written by me !! Get ready people ... you're in for a treat !!


My Garden - A Rhyming Poem
By Jono’s Mom


How I love my garden
and all the plants that grow.
To give us lovely dinners,
that are healthy too, you know.

Strawberries, tomatoes, eggplants,
beans and even peas.
And pretty flowers planted round
because they bring the bees.

How I love my garden
and all the joy it brings.
So much satisfaction found
in growing such amazing things.



I have to tell you about today's photo and then I need to go. I have been looking at these flowers, when they are in bloom, every year for about THREE years !! They are so beautiful and they call to me ! I can hear them as I drive past "Bonnie ... take photos of us." They are in a place that is tricky to stop, trickier to park, not to mention in the MIDDLE OF THE ROAD ! A busy road. I have never had my camera in the car, and not the kids ... when the traffic has been slow and I don't have anywhere to be. UNTIL YESTERDAY !! Finally, everything worked in my favor. Ok ... maybe one driver was a little cranky when I decided at the last minute to change lanes, slow down and pull over. But the flowers ... they were calling me ... True Story.

Anyway ... this isn't the best one but it's the one I got formatted before we remembered about show and tell !!! The others will have to wait.

If I forget through out the week, remind me to tell you about the book I'm reading. The parenting one. And also about our night time routine that is working really well. I've got some garden photos to show you. And I've started taking photos of the house and am FINALLY going to give you a tour !! So, remind me.

Oh ... and one last thing. Do any of you have great freezer meals ? I'm trying to cook one a week, a double recipe and freeze meals so we always have meals on hand for those nights that have been days that spun out of control and I'm looking at a recipe that takes an hour to prepare and an hour to cook and it's already 7:00 pm !! You can leave me your freezer link here or you can leave it on my MENU PLAN for this week over at my cooking blog where others have already started leaving links ! I can't wait to go check them out ! You might like to as well ...

11 comments:

Mari August 11, 2009 at 10:15 AM  

Such a talented family! Both you and Jono did a great job on your poems. I love the photo too -so cheery!
I have several freezer meals on my recipe blog. I do a lot of that in the winter.

A Captured Reflection August 11, 2009 at 10:40 AM  

How cool, I didn't realise these poems were known as acrostic either - I've learned something too. Loved your poem and of course all your creative outlets...awesome and wonderful. Loved you poem!

I'm glad you got to stop to take those photos - I often see things as I'm driving and it's impossible to stop - Kevin keeps promising to set up the camera on my head with attachment for me to take these 'driving' photos but it hasn't happened yet.

Brilliant!

I haven't done a lot of meal freezing but a couple of favourites that have worked for us our shepherd's pie and fishpie (not very adventurous I know)

puna August 11, 2009 at 10:53 AM  

I'm not much of a gardener but I can surely appreciate this!

T'lia August 11, 2009 at 1:28 PM  

I made some pasta bakes to freeze this week- SO handy. But I findlasagne always freezes pretty well.

The thing I did the other week was make little meat balls, and freeze them raw, and then all I had to do was cook the spaghetti and the meat balls- cause they were already made!

Good luck with the books as well!!

Sabba and Nanny August 11, 2009 at 2:59 PM  

Seems like Jono is a budding poet.

Jono's mom is quite proficient, too.

Proverbs 31:10-31, the Wife of Valor, is an acrostic in Hebrew, from Alef to Tav. I tried to make it an acrostic in English. Easier said than done. I'm going to keep working on it, though.

;) August 11, 2009 at 7:10 PM  

Öh ! thanks for sharing... books, poetry (I enjoyed to do poems like that...)... and a beautiful flower... Have a nice and "rich" day ;)

Anonymous August 12, 2009 at 4:55 AM  

Bonnie,
Everything
About
Ur blog
Truely
Is
Full
Uv
Lovliness!

Thank God my kids never came to me for help with poetry (or spelling.)

Stacy August 12, 2009 at 5:39 AM  

What a beautiful flower shot...well worth risking your life and limb! ;)

Love the poem by Jono and the one by you, too. Great job! I know sometimes the poems are so very, very depressing. I have a whole book (or two) full of rhyming childrens poems, so I think I could have helped you on having a happy one. :)

Sorry I can't help with the freezer meals. I just do a meaty pasta sauce and chili to freeze. That's about it.

Palmer and Co August 12, 2009 at 11:00 AM  

Great job, Jono!!

Love that flower! Love the purple and yellow together.

So glad you're reading those books. When the time comes we'll just put Luxe on a plane to visit you!
Tee-hee-hee!

Palmer and Co August 12, 2009 at 11:01 AM  

Oh, totally want the freezer meal ideas too! I've been meaning to do that for about 6 months now!

;) August 12, 2009 at 4:46 PM  

Hello hello... you want to do polaroid ? Try this : http://www.poladroid.net/

and trnasform your own pictures ;)


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP