Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Sharing Treasures

Yesterday, my friend Toni and I went around to a bunch of Op Shops.
I found a few treasures ... want to see ?

Photobucket

I love finding little bits and pieces for my food photography ...

Photobucket

We also went to a local craft shop and found some neat yarn.
I can't wait to start a couple of new projects.
Speaking of yarn and projects ... have you heard of Ravelry ?
It is the neatest site for those of us who do stuff with yarn.
You have to send them an email to get an invite but it only takes a couple of days to hear back.
Then you can become a member and post what you're doing and save patterns and a whole bunch of stuff to your favorites !!



Go have a look !
And make sure you become my friend once you join !!
This is me.

Photobucket

Here's my most recent project ...
I call it a feather scarf.
Probably because Toni calls what I'm knitting with 'the feather stuff'.
ha

Photobucket

It's pretty.
So soft.
And it's been a really easy project.
I'm almost finished after only a couple hours of knitting.

Photobucket

Remember the other day, I mentioned that I had defrosted my freezer ?

Photobucket

Well, today ... as part of Sandra's Tips on Tuesday ... I'm going to show you how.
I'm sure you're thinking "I know how to defrost a freezer ... what could I possibly learn?"
But there is one tip in here, a little something I learned from a friend years ago that you need to know about !! Especially if you have an ancient fridge like us !!


I think our fridge is as old as me.
I was born in 1973.
The freezer ices up like nobody's business.
I usually defrost it when I can't shut the door anymore.

I'm serious.


I didn't think about doing a post about this until after I had started.
So, here's my freezer with some bits already scraped off ...
I use a metal spatula to get under the ice ... that's what you see on the right side of the photo.
Actually, I've just realized that photo is sideways.

Oh well.
Not gonna fix it.



Check out this chunk of ice !
I should consider running some sort of Australian Ice Age theme park.
I could totally outfit it with the ice this old thing produces !


So ... metal spatula in hand, I pull off chunks (big chunks!) of ice.
Then I use my little dust pan to pick it up and get it out of the freezer ...


And I fill a bucket ... a couple of times !!
Now ... here's the tip you've all been waiting for.
How to get the ice to come off so easily !
Like I said, a friend taught me this years ago ... a male friend, can you believe ?
It's true.


After you have gotten all the ice off of the inside of the freezer,
wipe it with a bit of dish washing liquid.
Yep, it's that easy.
It makes the ice come away so much easier ...


And there you have it ...
My freezer is clear of ice and lemony fresh !!

And that, my friends, is all for today !

Gotta go make dinner.
Gyoza
Udon Noodles
and I'm gonna bake some
Poppy Seed Muffins
too.

See ya !

15 comments:

Mari February 24, 2009 at 9:16 PM  

Thanks for the tip! I've never heard of that, but next time I defrost my freezer, I'm trying it.

Jen February 24, 2009 at 11:03 PM  

I am crocheting the afghan. I have been working on it for quiet a while. I will just have to sit down and work on it. I do a row here and there.

Cheri February 24, 2009 at 11:19 PM  

That's a great tip!
Is that where you were going when you ran over the curb- I'm still chuckling at the vision of that!

Kath February 25, 2009 at 2:30 AM  

Love to see your knitting projects!!! You go girl!

Vikki Wright February 25, 2009 at 3:44 AM  

Hi! Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog...I followed your link and was surprised to see you're in Australia! I studied at Adelaide Uni for a year in '93, then travelled around the country for another year. Beautiful and lots of fun! I love your photos...great quality. Looking forward to seeing more of your blog! Have a great day!

Amy February 25, 2009 at 3:59 AM  

Hi sweet Bonnie girl!
What fantastic creative outlets you have! I am a wanna be, but realizing my creative outlet is way different than most....lol!! I love your knitting basket and your scarf! Excellent tips on defrosting... I did not know that about soap!!

Hope you are having a beautiful day!

Hugs.. Amy

Kath February 25, 2009 at 8:01 AM  

Your Grandma used to begin freezer defrosts by boiling a pan of water and shutting it in the freezer till it cooled down. That also loosened the ice a bit. Maybe soaping the sides and then loosening with steam will cause the ice to just fall away, eliminating the need for the spatula all together! (ah well, we can dream, can't we?!)Since the little meat freezer is not frost free, I shall have opportunity to check it out! And thanks for the memory of Grandma!

Sandra February 25, 2009 at 10:10 AM  

I LOVE Ravelry, didn't know you had become a member, I'll have to add you on there :)

Great tip Bonnie, even though I didn't put up the tips today, I've been so busy.

Hope you're having a wonderful day.

Hugs,
Sandra

Toni February 25, 2009 at 12:41 PM  

Didn't know that about the freezer. Will have to try it soon :D

Great looking feather scarf!
hehehehe

Laryssa Herbert May 6, 2009 at 5:31 AM  

Thanks for this great tip. I still have to defrost my deep freezer once a year. This will make the job even easier!

Rachael May 6, 2009 at 5:39 AM  

I use my hairdryer to get the ice to melt faster!

Anonymous May 6, 2009 at 6:50 AM  

Thanks so much for the awesome freezer defrosting tip. I always put it off because I hate it so much. I am totally going to try this next time!

Let'sMakeADifference May 6, 2009 at 7:55 AM  

'Finding' your site today was a miracle!!!! I have 3 large freezers that I was going to defrost tommorow!! Now i'm ALMOST excited!

Anonymous May 7, 2009 at 12:08 AM  

I thought you were going to say car wax!
But dishwashing liquid is easier yet!
thanks!
Pam Going Postal

I'm Selling Stuff! August 8, 2011 at 2:17 AM  

We just spray the inside of our big deep chest freezer with pam vegtable spray..I figure it is all food related so I can't poision anyone! ;)


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP