Thursday, January 29, 2009

Sharing Louisa May Alcott


I am listening to my first audio book ! Now that I am kid free in the car, I am able to listen un-interrupted. I saw this audio book "Good Wives" by Louisa May Alcott in the library last week and snapped it up ! It is the sequel to Little Women. I am loving it. I think I would find it a difficult book to read, but listening to it is another story. All of the intonations from the reader make it easier to get through. And I love the language used ...

One of my favorite lines so far is this one, talking about Meg and her wedding. "So she made her wedding gown herself, sewing into it the tender hopes and innocent romances of a girlish heart ..."

Don't you just love that description ?

tender hopes ...

innocent romances of a girlish heart ...

Wow !

I was having trouble remembering the exact phrases when I got home. This might have been a draw back to listening to audio books for me. You see, I love good quotes and often write them down or go back and find them later ! Listening to this in the car didn't afford me opportunity to write and finding it later on the CD ... well, I'm probably not THAT interested ! BUT ... I found a great resource on the internet called Bibliomania: Free Online Literature. Check it out ... here is the page that holds the chapters that hold the quote I was looking for !! This amazing site is home to more than 2000 classic texts !!

So, tell me ... do many of you listen to audio books ? Why or why not ? Do prefer them over reading regular books ? I plan to continue to do both, by the way ...

7 comments:

Toni January 29, 2009 at 6:38 PM  

I like listening to audio books but haven't done so for a really long time.

I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Mari January 29, 2009 at 9:14 PM  

I've listened to audio books when we were traveling bot haven't done it otherwise. I should try it.

Leeann January 29, 2009 at 10:16 PM  

Like Mari said, I only listen to audio books when I am on a road trip alone (so, like, almost never!) Most of my time in the car is short little trips (ten minutes here, five minutes there) so it would be too broken up for me to benefit from it.

Now, if I were commuting to work or something, I would definitely consider books on tape!

Amy January 29, 2009 at 11:32 PM  

Oh I love listening to audio books when I am cleaning and getting ready in the morning... It is such a fun way to get a book in.
This one looks like a wonderful read... I had not heard of this Lousia May Alcott book... Thankyou for recommending it!

Cherdecor January 30, 2009 at 4:03 AM  

I should try audio books. I would get more reading done, I think.

Sabba and Nanny January 30, 2009 at 9:09 AM  

1200 audiobooks in the past ten years! I've discovered over 20 authors that I never would have had time to read. I do most of my casual "reading" now with my ears.

marina January 30, 2009 at 12:17 PM  

I have never listen to an audio book but I think I would enjoy it and yours sounds really great !

I have a long drive home after I drop my son off from school and I think I would really like these I just haven't been too the book store yet to fine one.
thanks for the tip
and nice too meet you I am in Texas, marina


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP