Sunday, October 19, 2008

Walking Towards Simplicity


Photobucket


Truth be told, one of my biggest dreams is to live simply. To leave the hustle and bustle of the times we live in ... and to bring people with me !

In an effort to move towards this dream and after talking to Rory about it, we're making a few changes around here.

Let me tell you about last night. We had homemade sushi for dinner. Do you know I love doing meals like that ? I put everything prepared onto the table and then each person makes their own. It causes us to slow down. We have to wait 'til one person is done with the thing we need. There is no shoveling of food into mouths. There is talking, laughing, even a few tears when Alia bites her own finger ! But then laughter again when Rory teases her that he can see why she wanted to eat her finger, it looks yummy, can he have a bite ?

Part of growing up in my family was having to stay at the table until everyone else was finished. I know it was part of my Mom's growing up too. I remember going to Grandma's house and having to wait 'til everyone was finished. She, Grandma, used to tease us by eating corn on the cob one piece at a time !!

Staying at the table, waiting for everyone else to finish, I think it's important. We encourage the kids to talk. We talk. We ask questions. They respond. They ask questions. We respond. We have always done this but I am trying to make more of a concerted effort these days as I'd become a bit hurried myself lately.

Doing the dishes together. All of us. Not something that has ever happened (regularly) before. Oh, we've taught the kids how to empty the dishwasher, and they have been clearing their own plates from the table since they learned to walk but to actually all pitch in 'til the kitchen is clean, straight after the meal ... nope.

Working together last night, the four of us, and waking up to a clean kitchen this morning ... I am sure I don't have to tell many of you how wonderful that was.

Playing games together. We love it. We've bought a few good ones the past year or two. Ones that can be played while our kids are young and also as they grow older. A few of our favorites are Jenga, Phase 10, Uno, and Monopoly.

Last night we played The Dice Game. Such a fun game. Tomorrow I will teach you all how to play ...

6 comments:

Demara October 19, 2008 at 7:19 PM  

I love the "Phase 10" game, it's one of my favourites!

I think, to slow down and work as a family team, is a great idea. It's also something that is not seen very often anymore. Let alone, just sitting together at a table for dinner...at least this didn't happen in my home growing up. (The table was for company...or for 3 empty chairs while you sat in the 4th one.)

Coming home to a clean house is so peaceful~Just like waking up to a clean kitchen is, too!

Tessa October 19, 2008 at 8:19 PM  

Simplicity. A friend came back from a trip to Africa where he saw the poverty and deprivation in the lives of so many. But his comment from seeing the happy faces, the talk by hugging of the children, and the way they laughed and enjoyed everything, was, "In our world and lives we complicate everything with the unimportant, and lose sight of the simple."
Go girl with you simple life.

Mari October 20, 2008 at 12:20 AM  

What a great post! It's so true that we hurry along and don't enjoy the trip.
Your dinner last night sounds wonderful - except for the sushi!
Like Demara I love to play Phase 10

Cherdecor October 20, 2008 at 12:02 PM  

Have you ever heard of the game, Rummikub? When we were playing games, we liked that one. I should dig it out again and brush up on the rules.

I love walking into a clean kitchen in the mornings too.

I am glad to be back and catching up on your life.

Stacy October 20, 2008 at 11:44 PM  

I hear ya on the dinnertime ritual. We have always ate at the table together, but usually end up having tv on. We turned it off a bit last week and it was so nice to be able to enjoy dinner more. We too have been too much rushed of late.

Sabba and Nanny October 21, 2008 at 2:13 PM  

Bravo. Can't wait to do some of those simple things while you're here.


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP