Thursday, May 30, 2013

The Adoption

 photo F2C3F9B2-FE85-44F0-82F5-3DC153E7FB86-29167-00000DD41EBD08E4_zpsd21fa53c.jpg 

"I was fourteen when I found out that I was adopted. 
I returned home from school one day, and Mother said that she needed to speak to me. 

And then she told me - just like that. 
And what I felt was not shock or grief, but the most enormous sense of relief."

The Adoption
by Anne Berry
A story told from the perspective of three different women.

Lucilla ... the woman who was adopted as an infant. 
Harriet ... the woman who adopted her.
Bethan ... the woman who was 
not given any choice in 
the matter of 
giving 
up
her baby
girl, Lucilla.

I have such mixed feelings about this book.  It's the sort of book I enjoy.  It is beautifully written.  I was interested in the story the whole time,  captivated even, I wanted to know what was going to happen. How it was going to end. It was great.  Until I read the final page and closed the book.  I was holding out hope for a certain ending and it never came! I felt angry, like there was no resolution.  Like this whole lifetime of struggle had been for nothing.  But maybe that is the way the author wanted me to feel.  Maybe that was the point.  Maybe it's reality.  Maybe it's why I would recommend you read this book ....


4 comments:

Anonymous May 30, 2013 at 7:40 AM  

Adoption is an ethical dilemma i think and it sounds like the author managed to tell a realistic story because of the way it made you feel. I'm not sure I would take up your recommendation though. I have no need to feel angry :)

Anonymous May 30, 2013 at 8:35 AM  

The book sounds interesting ... and so does your story. Will you write a book of your own with the ending you desire?

Anonymous May 30, 2013 at 1:50 PM  

Oh. I do love a well written story. But, I also desire a happy ending when I'm "losing myself" in a novel. So, if I find myself needing to understand the intricacies of adoptive families, this is the book I'll go for. Until that day, I'll have it in my mind, and watch for other book recommendations from you.

Anonymous May 30, 2013 at 1:50 PM  

Oh. I do love a well written story. But, I also desire a happy ending when I'm "losing myself" in a novel. So, if I find myself needing to understand the intricacies of adoptive families, this is the book I'll go for. Until that day, I'll have it in my mind, and watch for other book recommendations from you.


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP