Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Corner {Mother} View

Photobucket


Corner View was created by Jane at Spain Daily and is now hosted by Francesca.  It is bloggers from all over the world, posting photos of a specific weekly theme.  To join, just post to your own blog and then link up over at Francesca's Corner View for the week.  Then, visit the other Corner Views ... that's my favorite part !  Seeing the interpretations of the themes, visiting different cultures, learning something new !

This week's theme is mother ... I am mother to two amazing children.  One boy, Jono, and one girl, Alia.  But, I am not going to write about them.  Or me.

 

Instead, I am going to share with you an entry I made into my journal back in 2010.  I say journal like I write in it regularly.  I don't.  I wish I did.  But I don't.  I write when I am alone and can't express my thoughts to anyone else.  This was one of those times ...

I was on my way back to Australia, by myself, after 10 days in the States after the death of my beloved maternal Grandmother.  The journal entry explains the rest ...

I'm sitting here in the Detroit airport, June 10, 2010 waiting for my flight home.  I'll have a layover in LA and then I'll hopefully sleep from LA to Brisbane.  I can't wait to see my sweet babies and hug my Rory.  I've had such a full on, over the top, whirlwind (tornado!) week !!  I've barely had time to think, much less to get my thoughts on paper.  So, I thought I'd take a few minutes while everything is fresh in my mind to write them down. 

The purpose of this trip was to say goodbye to Grandma, to spend time with family and to help do a few practical
bits and pieces that go along with the death of a loved one.  

What I learned on this trip only cemented what I have always known.  I am the LUCKIEST girl on the planet ~ though I know for a fact that luck has nothing to do with it.  I was reminded over and over of the incredible heritage I have or have come from.  I'm not sure which one it is but that's not important.  What is important is the legacy left for generations to come.  A rich heritage.  Traditions all our own.  Customs unique to our family.  And a love that cements us together and pushes us towards kindness, gentleness, self control.  

In a situation that had potential to ~ and often does in other families ~ tear us apart, we became closer, as if that was even possible.  Tears, consideration, hugs, compassionate knowing looks, generosity, selflessness, laughter ~  these are the things I experienced.  These are the memories I'll treasure.  There are the characteristics I'll endeavor to instill in my children.  Honesty, integrity, respect, these too were present in abundance.  

Watching the example of my grandma and grandpa's daughters ~ my mom and her sisters ~ in the very raw stages of grief, as they walked through each day, one step at a time, leaning on each other, and their husbands, and us ~ their children,  showed me the 'end game'.  It has given me a perspective on parenthood that I didn't have before.

Reflecting on the life my grandma in her role as mother and watching the children she (and grandpa) raised, after she was no longer there to have input, really struck me.  My job as mother is to teach, to instill, to do my best.  She did that and they are incredible women because of her (and grandpa !!) I haven't expressed that as clearly as I see it with the eyes of my heart ~ I may try again later.  

At every single moment ~  the most ~ the only important thing to each of the sisters ~ was their relationship to each other.  I count it among my most treasured 'things' taken from this week, the opportunity to witness that, alongside my siblings and ALL of my cousins. God help us to remember that in the years to come and to always make that OUR priority too ...


15 comments:

Anonymous May 9, 2012 at 3:11 PM  

Oh wow. This is an amazing journal entry. You have captured so much that was important in that trip.
The end game of parenting. I like it!!

Beth May 9, 2012 at 7:21 PM  

This is beautiful---obviously written from the heart. You are good with words--they flow in harmony to give us a clear image.

You are indeed blessed as you already know.:>)

Joyce May 9, 2012 at 10:21 PM  

Beautifully written my friend. It is wonderful to read how you appreciate and know the blessing you have. :) xo

Kristin May 10, 2012 at 12:50 AM  

This is not only a beautiful picture that is also very beautiful and touching lyrics.

Theresa May 10, 2012 at 2:36 AM  

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Victoria | Hibiscus Bloem May 10, 2012 at 4:08 AM  

Thank you for sharing this. Beautifully observed, thought about and written.

http://hibiscusbloem.blogspot.com/2012/05/corner-view-mother.html

gis May 10, 2012 at 5:55 AM  

This is So beautiful and moving. Thank you for sharing!

Kath May 10, 2012 at 6:40 AM  

I am blessed to be in the middle of this threesome. To be able to have learned from my Mom and then pass it to you perhaps qualifies ME for the position of luckiest girl in the world! Love you!

Kasia May 10, 2012 at 7:55 AM  

Thank you for sharing your personal thoughts. It is sometimes so difficult to see what really is important in life. Your words made me thinking about my mother and my sister, what we have received from her (Mom) and what we give back, to her, to our families, to our children.

Heather May 10, 2012 at 10:47 AM  

Beautifully put.

Juana May 10, 2012 at 6:29 PM  

Oh, what can I say? Your post have move so many things in my heart! Things like the legacy our family, even the most distract one,have left to us. I've been what I call myself "an undomesticated cat", due to family problems. When I made my own, I realized how important is the path that others traced for you... Family is like a Spa: it trains you to fight life!

Redeker May 11, 2012 at 3:30 AM  

a written corner view from your heart...! nice!
also a great photo.

nadine paduart May 11, 2012 at 4:55 PM  

immense.
yeah, i love the angle of the image!
n♥

Karyn Taylor-Moore May 12, 2012 at 6:53 PM  

A beautiful post Bonnie . . . thank you so much for sharing your journal entry with us. Such an immense experience, so beautifully expressed. Such lessons to be learned - for all of us

Karyn xx

Francesca May 12, 2012 at 8:04 PM  

i think you wrote beautifully about funerals, and their function. people dread going to them, but getting together when a loved one has passed away is very important to reconnect those who are still here. Happy mother's day!


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP