Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Cornver View {The Last Thing I Learnt}



Corner View this week is 'the last thing I learnt' ...

This is an interesting one. I LOVE to learn. I am always learning !!

So I was wondering what would be the last thing I learned before I wrote this post and then this afternoon I was outside in the garden, taking photos of birds and flowers and I noticed that the pollen on this bees legs was PINK ! I've never seen that before, usually it's orange ! I started to wonder if the pollen color had to do with the color flower they were getting their pollen from and then it would make sense that they collected different colors ! Plus, they were on the coriander flowers and I'd noticed that some of them had turned pink !

I came in and googled it and sure enough ... the pollen on their legs is due to the color of the 'pollen source' ...

How cool is that ??

**

I've been absent from Corner View for a while ... I'm looking forward to seeing what the last thing everyone else learned was !

13 comments:

Joyce October 5, 2011 at 8:49 PM  

Now that is cool! Thanks. xo

Mari October 6, 2011 at 12:32 AM  

Now I've learned something new too!

Dana October 6, 2011 at 6:09 AM  

Very cool indeed :)

Elizabeth October 6, 2011 at 7:17 AM  

I never even thought about the colour of different pollen (only that several make me sneeze!)
Nice photo, particularly the focus.

likeschocolate October 6, 2011 at 12:16 PM  

I agree! That is totally cool!

Anonymous October 6, 2011 at 9:47 PM  

this is so very cool :)

Anonymous October 7, 2011 at 6:21 AM  

amazing photo as usual - so glad you're back Bonnie!

flowtops October 7, 2011 at 6:31 AM  

I haven't noticed this on my bumble bees, but then again, I am always staring at their beautiful yellow and black striping, ignoring their legs.

Lovely shot!

Nicki

PS My CV was a spider web, filled to the brink with flies. And its inhabitant was one lucky, fat spider!

nadine paduart October 7, 2011 at 2:49 PM  

that is extremely cool. and you did notice, because you were looking! i love your photo, by the way!! n♥

Theresa October 7, 2011 at 6:04 PM  

Never knew that!
Great shot.

Sophie October 9, 2011 at 6:59 AM  

That is really cool, furthermore if the legs are pink! Beautiful picture and a good thing to learn for today!

Redeker October 9, 2011 at 4:55 PM  

incredible that you noticed that! it it amazing how bees are collecting the pollen!

Anonymous October 10, 2011 at 12:53 PM  

Responding to the knitting tutorial request; I couldn't do one myself, but I found a video I think is very good at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z75CkAl41_Q

Amazing bit about the pollen...when I was a kid, my dad did beekeeping as a hobby. I have actually never seen pink!


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP