Sunday, October 30, 2011

Christmas Already ?


so, here's the deal. our tree is up. we put it up last night.

normally, i wait til after thanksgiving to put it up but that is clear at the end of november and it has always bugged me to wait that long because by the first of the year i'm full into cleaning and sorting and gearing up for a new year so i need my tree to be down. i always wish we had been able to enjoy it longer in the lead up to christmas but, i never put it up before thanksgiving because that is what we did in my home when i was a kid.

but, i have these friends here who decorate really early. the talk started a couple of weeks ago. out came the boxes the other night and up went one of their trees and a few lights.  i kept feeling like i wanted to put mine up but couldn't because it wasn't thanksgiving yet !

but then i got to thinkin'. i live in a country where christmas is in the middle of the summer. a country where you don't cook a turkey and sit in front of a fire, but rather, take a bucket of prawns down to the beach and try to stay cool. a country where thanksgiving isn't even a holiday ! i know, i know ... we still celebrate it with friends who are american or who just love celebrating being thankful, but still ... 

and then i got to thinkin' even further that my parents, from whom the don't put your tree up til after thanksgiving thing started, don't even put up a tree at all anymore !!!

so really, nothing about christmas is how it 'should' be for me anyway so why NOT put our tree up now and enjoy it for a couple of months ?? the conclusion i've come to is this ... while i'm in this country ... celebrating christmas in SUMMERTIME, i will feel free to put our tree up WHENEVER ! if ever we live in AMERICA again, i will revert back to the old tradition of after thanksgiving ...

maybe.

7 comments:

Kayren October 30, 2011 at 8:05 AM  

Hey, I say go for it! Here in Michigan it seems like people put up their decorations much earlier than other places I've lived (in America!). We will start seeing things go up between Halloween and Thanksgiving, and although I was always a day-after-Thanksgiving kind of girl, I like to enjoy mine longer too. Last year I put it up before Thanksgiving and probably will again this year. Nothing's as it should be at our house anyway with my cancer treatments, so why not?! :)

morgandkim October 30, 2011 at 10:13 AM  

i like this, I want to set up our christmas tree soon. we move out of our house in 3 weeks though, so gotta wait for that to finish i spose.
-k

Unknown October 30, 2011 at 9:43 PM  

WOW! I cannot think about christmas yet!
Looks great, enjoy it!

Kath October 31, 2011 at 1:51 AM  

I have been trying to decide what Christmas will look like at our house this year...I have started thinking before Thanksgiving.... revolutionalry....like YOU!

Sabba and Nanny November 3, 2011 at 5:22 AM  

Good on you, Bon. You're revamping some traditions. Fine. The long and short of it is this. Whether in Australia or the U.S. or on the moon, for that matter, it's your house, your family, and it's up to you and Rory and your family to decide when to put up the tree. I applaud your decision. By the way, as we like to light the candles for Chanukkah, too, it's interesting that Christmas comes within the Chanukkah season this year.

Valerie November 4, 2011 at 2:25 PM  

I like that.
I'm not one who would enjoy her tree for 2 months (it wouldn't make it anyway because it is a natural one) but I love the fact that you don't feel you have to stick to what other people do, and that you feel free to do what is enjoyable for you !
merry Christmas ;)

Heather November 11, 2011 at 7:09 AM  

I'm impressed that you are so organized! And why not put it up when YOU want to? Might as well get as much joy out of it as possible.


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP