Monday, January 25, 2010

Games {for} Shay

My best friend. My best friends wedding. Wait. What ? Who's this best friend ? Oh ... sorry everybody ... I got lost in an inside joke ! Shay ... that was just for you !! I hope you are laughing !

And this is for you too ... our favorite games at the moment ...

Phase 10 - I'm linking to some description of each of these games and I only took photos of the few that we played today ...

Somewhere in the back of my mind, I'm remembering (correctly ??) that you and Shawn taught us how to play this game. Is that right ??



The kids love it.



And Alia can play it on her own.



We just read and explain what the phase is and she's good to go !



Monopoly Deal - this is one that we just discovered not too long ago and it might be my favorite one - of the card games we play with the kids ! I am not a huge fan of regular Monopoly ... mainly because it takes too long and one person is often able to Monopolize the game ! Not so in Monopoly Deal. The game changes from turn to turn and is really fun. I think you and your kids would enjoy playing this game together ... Alia is usually on Rory's team but I think that is because she has decided she can't play by herself. Who knows why ? Not me !



Mexican Train Dominoes - Surely you guys have Mexican Train ! We learned to play it at my parents place and really liked it. We bought it at Super Target and carried the heavy thing home ! It's a fun one and easy for kids our girls' ages ! But enjoyable enough for the rest of us too ...

Hand and Foot - (no link ...) Have you ever played this at my parents house ? This is what Rory and I play when we play cards together. We should try to teach the kids but it might be a bit too much to remember for Alia just yet. If you haven't played this, you should invite my parents over and get them to teach you !! You guys could for sure play this with Justin ... and probably Ethan. Livi could be on a team !

The Dice Game (aka Farkle) - I did a post on this in 2008. The link will take you there. Both kids can play this. Alia just needs help with the addition but it's a fun, little thinking, explosive at times (!) game.

Uno - pretty standard ... but the kids still love it.

Jenga - we have lots of fun playing this together.

Mah-Jongg - again ... have my parents over. You totally should ... do a games night with them ! You'd like Mah-Jongg, I think. It's fun !! And totally a game you guys should know ... being part of the family and all !!


Yahtzee Free For All - This is similar to Yahtzee but different enough that it's not the same old thing ! The kids love it because you get to steal other people's points ... It's a fun one too.

Ok ... I think that's it ! Anyone else out there have good game recommendations ? Shay's family is one wife, one husband, one teen boy, one 8 year old boy and one 6 year old girl ... unless they've aged again !!! I have so much trouble keeping track !!! All these kids that just keep growing. Sheesh ! Give a girl a break ! I can barely remember my own age ! Anyway ... I'm sure she'd love to know your favorite games to play with your families so she has lots of options !! So ... comment comment comment !!

6 comments:

Anonymous January 26, 2010 at 12:23 AM  

you're the best Bonnie. Thanks so much for the post. I am putting those games on my list. And, yes, we did teach you phase ten.

Sabba and Nanny January 26, 2010 at 4:43 AM  

Great post. We really do need to get together with Shay and Shawn for a game night. That would be fun.

I'm glad our family has a history of game playing. I think it's a wonderful way to spend time together, because you don't just play the game--you talk and laugh and get to know one another better.

Mari January 26, 2010 at 7:22 AM  

Phase 10 and Monopoly deal are both so fun!

Kayren January 26, 2010 at 1:30 PM  

My kids love Spoons, Dutch Blitz (also called Nertz or some other spelling) which is kind of like multiple Solitaires going on at once (you can get it from CBD online under $10), and that's about all I can think of right now.

Terri February 7, 2010 at 5:14 AM  

We love all those games too. But Mahjong - I bought this while we were in China and have never played it. I can't figure out the rules!!!

Khrista February 15, 2010 at 2:52 PM  

Phase 10 is a favorite at our house too! And we just discovered Monopoly Deal as well! Rachel introduced it to us while we were visiting last month. And I always LOVED playing Hand & Foot with your family! It's still one of my favorite games! :)


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP