Tuesday, December 29, 2009

my 2010

I wanted to share with you all what's happening in my family in 2010 ... I've been talking about it for a while over at the beans blog but don't think I've mentioned much of it here. I thought I'd just cut and paste the post from there to here so you could read about it but if you are interested in following our progress throughout the year, you should pop over there from time to time !

I'll be back to regular posting soon. Christmas was wonderful ! Lots of time with the extended family all being here at our place ! Loved it ! Looking forward now to New Years and the celebrations it will bring ! Hope you all are well ... see you soon. Here's the post about my 2010 !



Just three days away from the start of the new year, I though it about time I posted my 'master plan' for this whole unprocessed thing ! I've done lots of thinking, do continual reading and have chatted with my husband about this and we've come to an agreeable plan.


(photos - Christmas 2009 fruit bowls)
We will eat no foods with additives and preservatives (with the exception of a few like 'gelatine' that have no adverse reactions) I have a comprehensive list of additives and preservatives used in Australia to make our shopping easier.

No white flour.

No white sugar (or brown sugar which is just white sugar with molasses added).

No white rice or pasta.

No trans fat.

We will limit our dairy. Cheese will be an occasional food. Milk and yogurt will still be part of our diet but I'll be researching nut milks. So far I haven't found any without added sugar. All of our dairy will be low fat.

We will concentrate on eating leafy greens, lots of vegetables, fruit, whole grains and legumes.

I will endeavor to keep our sodium intake to less than 2000mg a day.



Exceptions ...
I am not wanting to take our family into the 'realm of weirdo'. For that reason, we will have a few exceptions throughout the year. Each of our birthdays will be a 'free day'. We will be sensible and try to make decisions as close to our 'plan' as possible but we will probably have birthday cake with sugar in it ...

As well ... I will not put myself or my family or our friends through the awkwardness of 'we don't eat that' when we go to someones place for dinner. So ... again, making sensible decisions ... but we will eat what is served to us when we are at someones place. The same if we are in a restaurant. Although ... restaurants will be easier as we will be given a menu with many choices.

The reasons ...
Improved health is the most obvious reason. After reading Additive Alert a few years ago and then again recently, I feel that it's time we 'take the plunge' to eliminate these 'nasties' from our diet.

I also was struck by something I read in another book that was something to the effect of "why do we wait until we are sick to make the changes our bodies need to be healthy ?" To me ... it makes sense to feed my family (and myself) food that will keep us healthy instead of waiting until it is too late.

I'm not someone who has much success with 'little by little'. I'm an all or nothing sort of girl. Hence the reason we are cutting all of these things out at once. I've tried it the other way ... doesn't work for me. So ... here we go ... starting an adventure ! I'm excited !

Oh ... the other reason I want to do this has not got much to do with health but more with a trend I see in society that I'd like to not see in my home or in my children. That is the trend towards 'instant gratification'. The 'I'll just run out and grab something quick' sort of mentality. You know what I'm talking about ? I want to see what it is like to not be able to do that. I want to be forced to make things from scratch ... even more than I already do. I know it will take a lot of planning and preparation and organization but I think I'm ready for that ...

Well see ... because it starts in just three short days !!

I plan to share with you the foods we eat. The recipes. The challenges. The struggles. The physical, emotional and financial changes we discover. I'll share books and resources and who knows what else ...

I'd love to know your thoughts. Suggestions are always welcome too ! Links to recipes that fall in line with our plan ... hook me up !!

Look out two thousand and ten ... here we come !!


5 comments:

Mari December 29, 2009 at 7:04 PM  

That's a big commitment. It sounds like you are using common sense though. Hope it goes well and you all feel great!

Palmer and Co December 30, 2009 at 12:42 AM  

I'm so excited for you guys! This is an awesome and big commitment that will bring you all lots of positive results. We try and maintain similar standards here at home. It's so much better knowing what you are eating and that there is no hidden chemicals or additives. Best of luck and I look forward to hearing how it's going... and getting some recipes!

One Shabby Chick December 30, 2009 at 4:34 AM  

Bonnie - this sounds amazing! And you can make your own nut milks just by soaking the nuts and blending them - all the raw food cookbooks are great resources for those kind of recipes...there are some good online sites too. I know when I was eating raw I loved knowing exactly what I was eating - good luck!

Toni December 30, 2009 at 6:12 PM  

Can't wait to see and hear all about your changes ... how they're working, how the kids feel, how you & hubby cope etc :D

What about fluids eg. alcohol, coffee, teas etc? Do these things have many additives and nasties?

Sabba and Nanny December 30, 2009 at 7:58 PM  

Same comment as on the Beans Blog:

I love the balanced approach you are taking, and the mercy you are showing those around you. I think it's a pretty good role modeling of how we should live our lives in every area. Good luck, and we'll be watching with great interest. Love, Dad


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP