Friday, March 6, 2009

Sharing Perspective - Responsibilities


This week's perspective is going to be a bit different.
Instead of photos taken by the kids, I'll be sharing a project we did together.

Photobucket

I've been slack on keeping the kids accountable with helping out around here.
You may remember the posts I did on this subject.
Or you may not.
Go read if you like ... I'll wait.

Needing to re-visit exactly what the kids responsibilities are, I spent an afternoon with them planning and discussing and putting it all on paper. I asked them what they thought they should be responsible for and here's what they came up with.

Photobucket

Can you tell what they've drawn ?

Photobucket

We've hung the charts on their bedroom doors.
Alia gets straight up in the morning and does hers.
Jono ... well, not so much.

I have designed a chart that I will use to keep them accountable.
Little tick marks beside each job each day and at the end of the week we'll assess ...

The chart is here if you want to take a peek.
It's simple.
I wanted to get it done !!
Maybe later I'll make a prettier, more interesting version !

At the same time as the kids were doing their chart, I was doing mine. Mine has what I'd like (in generalities) my mornings, afternoons and evenings to look like. And scattered in between are key words that I'd like to be as much a part of how our home operates as the practical, day to day responsibilities that need to get done.

Here's a sneak peak ...

Photobucket

But since this post is about the children's perspective, you'll have to wait til later in the week to get details on mine ...

4 comments:

Amy March 6, 2009 at 5:09 AM  

Way to go, momma! This takes alot of brain power..lol!! I need to do the same thing, so thanks for the inspiration.... love this perspective today! I will be jumping in on this meme... tomorrow is Friday for me.. so I get a little more time !la la la la... :D

Mari March 6, 2009 at 7:39 AM  

I think it's a great idea to have them draw this. Nice job!

Anonymous March 6, 2009 at 7:43 PM  

I love seeing your organization Bonnie!

And your children's version was interesting to see.

I could tell by Jono's that he didn't take it as seriously. Because he has "petting the cat" as a chore. That reminds me of someone else I know - my husband. haha

It's a good chore I suppose but I don't think "petting/loving the cat" should be thought of that way.

I think love should come from the heart not from the attitude of I "have" to do this!

A chore to me is something that "has to be done whether we love the "thing" or not". And it's usually a thing right?

But I think you know this. So nevermind.

As for Alia's drawing, I must admit it was hard to tell what she thinks her chores are.

Unless...triangles are mountains of clothing piled up!

Am I right? Am I right??? :)

Cherdecor March 7, 2009 at 11:33 AM  

I read a book one time that said that boys think in graphics. This was a wonderful idea for both children since they have such strengths in the visual.

Good job, Mum!


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP