Sunday, December 29, 2013

Coming Home


Coming Home
by Karen Kingsbury

I'm a big fan of Karen Kingsbury.  I have been reading her books for years and I haven't read one yet that I didn't like, and I've read most of them!

The subject matter of her books is often challenging.  Mostly relationship issues. Family matters.  Marriage.  Parenting.  Sickness.  Injury.  Death.  Real life stuff that happens to real life people.  But real life people with faith.  Real life people who believe in the power of prayer.   Real life people who believe that God has a plan for their lives.

Many of her books are written as a series, and quite a few follow the lives of the same family.  The Baxter family.  This book is written as the final chapter, if you will, of the Baxter's.  At first, I was a little worried as to the story line.  I started reading and it was like a really long introduction of stuff I already knew.  I realize it had to start out this way,  in case the reader hadn't read all of the books before this one, but I was worried.  And then all of a sudden ... ka blam!  I was hooked.  I was devastated, but I couldn't stop reading.  

I really can't tell you much about the story line ... I don't want to give any of it away.  And I don't know, if you weren't as attached to the Baxter family as I am, if you would be as gripped as I was.   I will tell you this, her books don't always have happy/fairy tale endings.  Things don't always resolve the way I want them to.  Tough life questions aren't always answered, tied up with a pretty bow.  But that's life isn't it? 

What I have found though, is that they leave me filled with hope.  They leave me filled with a renewed knowledge that everything in life isn't going to make sense, all of my questions are not going to be answered ... and that is ok.   

They leave me with a renewed sense of family.  And community.  And love.  A quote from early in the book that I really liked " ... he remembered a sermon he'd heard once about love.  The preacher had stated that there were several types of love.  An all-encompassing love for mankind, and a romantic love and a more surface love for all things enjoyable.  But John disagreed.  In his experience there were as many kinds of love as there were people.  Love between two hearts, two souls was never the same from one person to the next."  

I love the thought of that ... there are as many kinds of love as there are people.  That's a whole lot of love!

1 comments:

Kari December 31, 2013 at 2:44 PM  

Hi Bonnie!
hope your Christmas was lovely!
I think for the new year I'm going to try and read more. I may try out this author.
Wishing you the best for the New Year!


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP