Thursday, July 12, 2012

Little House in the Big Woods


It's no secret that I love the simple life.  Or the idea of it.  I dream of living a life like they did in this book.  They are a hard working family who love each other.  Time during the day is spent doing what needs to be done, but the evenings are about family dinners, talking, reading, warm fires in the winter, and the children listening to Pa play the fiddle as they snuggle together and drop off to sleep.  I loved these books as a kid, although, I'm not positive that I've read or had them ALL read to me.  I just finished reading this one to Alia (8).  We've ordered the other ones in the set.  Can't wait for them to arrive !

Here is Alia's review of this book ... my questions, her thoughts.


B: Did you like this book ?
A: yes

B: What did you like about it ?
A: i liked the characters because they were funny. like when ma smacked the bear because she thought it was a cow. (it was dark outside)

B: Who was your favorite character ?
A: pa

B: Why were they your favorite character ?
A: Because he played the fiddle.

B: What was the saddest  bit in the book ?
A: when the little boy kept screaming they went to see what was wrong and nothing was wrong and then one time he stept on a bees nest and he was screaming but no one came to help him . so then they finally they went over and realised that he got stung every ware. So they had to cover him with mud and wrap him up in a big sheet and put him in the bed.

B: If Mommy, Daddy and Jono also lived there, would you like to live in the Little House in the Big Woods ?  Why or why not ?
A:No because there are bears, panthers and lots of other dangerous animals.

B: Do you think other kids would like this book ?  If so, why ?
A: yes because is a very good book.


7 comments:

Anonymous July 12, 2012 at 8:57 AM  

Oh Alia. I love your thoughts about this book. I don't think I'd like to live in a house with bears and panthers and other dangerous animals.

Mari July 12, 2012 at 8:57 AM  

Good memories! I loved those books and so did my kids. I enjoyed Alia's take on it.

Sabba and Nanny July 12, 2012 at 9:03 AM  

Good job, Alia. Another great book review. I'm glad you enjoyed the book.

Jo July 12, 2012 at 10:44 AM  

Alia, I'm glad you liked this book. Your review helped me remember some of the best bits about the book, like the bee-stung boy! Cousins Pam and Jill and I read all these books together when they were your age. Then we had fun pretending we lived back then--not using electricity, getting all our water from the "well" (really the garden hose), etc.
Love you!
Aunt Jo

Mrs. Wallace July 13, 2012 at 2:13 AM  

Thanks for the review Alia! It reminds me of how much I LOVED all of these books...After my mom read them aloud to us, I read them all again over and over by myself I loved them SO much! I had so much fun on our Pioneer day (my mom described it a bit)...and then when we read Ann of Green Gables we had a little party like she did. I think you'll like those books too...you should have you mom look into those after you finish the Little House series :-) Love you! Pam

Farmgirl Susan July 28, 2012 at 2:19 AM  

What a great interview! I grew up reading the Little House books and watching Little House on the Prairie on TV (I'm 44 now). I recently reread Little House in the Big Woods and couldn't believe how familiar all the stories were, and even the illustrations. I guess I read it quite a few times as a girl. :)

A few years ago I reread Little House on the Prairie and was surprised by how much my life is now like theirs in many ways, lol.

Farmgirl Susan July 28, 2012 at 2:20 AM  

What a great interview! I grew up reading the Little House books and watching Little House on the Prairie on TV (I'm 44 now). I recently reread Little House in the Big Woods and was surprised by how well I remembered every part, and even the illustrations. I guess I read it quite a few times. :)

A few years ago I reread Little House on the Prairie and was surprised by how much my life is now like theirs in many ways now, lol.


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP