Saturday, May 19, 2012

The Book Thief

 

I LOVED THIS BOOK.

I will recommend it to everyone I know.

This book was recommended to me back in January, I remember because it was while I was out of town visiting a friend for her surprise 40th birthday party that another friend suggested to me that I would like it.  I came home, reserved it from the library, waited and waited for it to come in.  When it finally did, I think I was in the middle of another book.  But then, for some reason, I didn't pick this one up next.  And then, I had to take it back to the library because many other people wanted to read it.  I took it back but reserved it again.  Again I waited and waited and then finally it came in.  Again I was in the middle of another book.  But then, when I finished, I wasn't sure I wanted to pick this one up.  I don't know why.  Another friend who had recently read it helped me make the decision .....

I COULD NOT PUT THIS BOOK DOWN !  But I had to ... you know, the family wanted to eat, I had to go to work ....  life outside of Nazi Germany in 1939 needed me.  But as soon as I had a free minute, I was right back in Molching with Liesel and Rudy and Max and Mama and Papa .... 

I had no trouble attaching myself to these characters.  I was hooked from page one !  I knew the perspective this book was written from .... or rather who was narrating it.  The first friend who recommended it told me.  I don't think it gives anything away to tell you ... it is written by Death.  Maybe that is what kept me from picking up this book.  But it shouldn't have, if only I had opened it and read the first page all those months ago ! Of course, I wasn't reviewing books back then so you all wouldn't have been reading this if I had.

I loved the style of writing.  Sometimes in books I have to go back and re-read a sentence or two to figure out what the writer is trying to say.  I didn't have to do that once in this book.  My eyes flowed easily over the words and just as easily those words sank into my heart. 

It is a story of life, in a time full of death.  It is a story of hope.  And of endurance.  Of suffering.  Of compassion.  It's a story about risking it all to save a life.  

It is a story that will touch your heart ... if you let it.

1 comments:

Anonymous May 19, 2012 at 8:14 AM  

Oh I agree. And I loved the book too. What a great review... and so well written. It makes me want to read it again... which I won't because I have too many new books on my reading list! But... if anybody hasn't read it... DO IT!!!


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP