Monday, July 12, 2010

Good Times with Little House Braids


Hello !!! Has it been forever since I posted or what ?!?! How are you all ? I'm well. Life has been so busy lately. I've managed to keep The Beans Blog going but this poor Simple Beauty blog has been a bit neglected since May ! I can't promise that it will get better any time soon ! ha ha

But ... I'm up early this morning ... 4:30am ! I'm watching Spain vs Netherlands in the World Cup Final. Come on Spain !!! You.Can.Do.It !!! Anyway ... I thought I'd pop in a write a quick post. Maybe get the ball rolling again ...

I have been taking lots of photos. Maybe I'll just start posting some of them ... without too many words. We'll see.

Did ya'll know I took a quick trip to the States in June ? My Grandma died and the day after I got the call, I was on a plane, by myself ... off to Ohio to spend 10 amazing days with my family. I'm so thankful that I was able to go. All of my aunties and uncles on that side of the family were there. My parents were there. All of my siblings. And all of my cousins. AMAZING !! It was sort of like we were all kids again. Just being together. Doing what we do so well ~ loving each other. There were sad times, to be sure, but mostly there were lots of memories. Lots of stories told. Plenty of laughter. Plenty of tears ... Lots of preparations. A beautiful memorial service. An impromtu service at the lake, scattering ashes that was the highlight of my trip.

I'm going to go ... halftime is over and I can't watch and type at the same time ... ha ha !! The tension of this game is about to kill me ... SCORE ALREADY SPAIN !!!!

I'll leave you with this photo though. It's from when we were cleaning out Grandma's apartment. Mom and her sisters have always told us about how they used to put panty hose on their heads when they were little .... to play Little House on the Prarie ! Hilarious, no ? One of the sisters reckons they used to wear three pairs and braid them. Mom doesn't remember this so she had to try. She's the one in the middle ... I'm the one in purple 'hair' ... and the one in the purple hat is my sister Ellie.
Ahhhh ... good times ! goood good times !!

11 comments:

Mari July 12, 2010 at 6:09 AM  

Bonnie! Is it really you? Good thing I can keep up with you on Facebook, or I would have been worried about you.
Love those braids - what an imagination!
PS - hate to tell you this but I'm routing for the Netherlands. That's where my family is from. Can we still be friends?

Kari July 12, 2010 at 2:31 PM  

sorry to hear about your grandmother, It must have been great to be with family, catching up and sharing some great memories. My father passed away in May too and I went home straight away. It was good to be at home.
I look forward to your photo's.
Congratulations Spain!!

Kath July 13, 2010 at 1:41 AM  

And I am here to confirm that if one of my sisters ever had multiple layers of "hair" to braid, I never did. My head was absolutely MELTING in the one minute we took to do this experiment. Honestly, who wants to ride in a "covered wagon" to the "prairie" with a melting head!!!

Anonymous July 13, 2010 at 1:42 PM  

that looks like loads of fun, Bonnie! I think your Mom's braids are beautiful. And my Gramma died too recently :'( did you see the posts leading up to her time? She had Cancer. And we laid her ashes to...I blogged about it...here:
Mother's Day and Gramma
and here:
Gramma's Going Home
and here
She's Gone
and here:
Gramma Euphemisms
and here:
Gramma Painting and
here: ashes

Sorry for your loss :'( I'm glad you were able to go and spend that time with your family though :)

Bonnie July 14, 2010 at 4:13 PM  

Mari !! yes ... it's really me !! It's been forever, I know !! :)

likeschocolate July 21, 2010 at 12:17 PM  

Looks like you guys are having a lot of fun!

Annabel July 24, 2010 at 2:41 AM  

It is very good to see your family, isn't it! (Although I see mine every day, 'cause I'm a kid.)n Sorry about your grandma.

Tessa July 28, 2010 at 9:35 AM  

Hey Bon, so glad to read you again. You have an amazing family.

;) July 30, 2010 at 5:26 AM  

Life...

You see, I'm are still here to read and be sorry for your grandmother...

Big French Hug

Theresa August 24, 2010 at 6:51 PM  

Glad you're back

Palmer and Co August 25, 2010 at 11:39 AM  

So glad a sad situation can turn out so beautiful. Hope life is well on your island!


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP