Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Sharing A Special Afternoon

~

I don't know about you but sometimes routine starts to get on my nerves.
Having both kids in school has set in motion a routine that I'm not used to.
Picking them both up, fixing a snack, helping with homework, cooking dinner, starting showers, reading stories, lights out ... it's the same. Day after day after day.
Sometimes I just need something different !!!!!!

Yesterday was that day.

Photobucket

After school, we came home, got changed, packed a bag and headed out on an 'outing'. We found a lovely little spot, halfway down a flight of stairs to one of our favorite beaches. We spread out a picnic blanket, shared a packet of salt and vinegar rice crackers and spent an hour or so sketching and taking photos before making out way down to the rocks to explore.

Photobucket

Jono said to me, while we were sitting, eating our snack.
"This is great. I love the water. The sound ...." and he let his thoughts drift off as we listened.
I was so proud of him.
He's such a perceptive and appreciate seven year old.
At one point in the afternoon, he called the ocean magnificent !

Photobucket

Alia decided that she couldn't draw and refused to even try for a while. Never one to let them say they can't do something, I kept encouraging her to give it a go and (to my surprise) she ended up changing her mind and doing some great little sketches !

Photobucket

It was such a nice change from our normal routine. I was thinking as we were leaving that I need to be more diligent in doing this sort of stuff with the kids on a regular basis.

Photobucket

Exploring.

Photobucket

Wondering. Marveling. Admiring.

Photobucket

Getting lost in the beauty. The serenity.

Photobucket

Feeling the cool breezes. Splashing in the water. Finding treasures.

Photobucket

Just being us. Together.

Peacefully.

I enjoyed it.

They enjoyed it.

We can't wait to do it again ...

13 comments:

Khrista February 17, 2009 at 5:21 PM  

Sounds like a wonderful time! Love the pictures!

Katrina February 17, 2009 at 9:39 PM  

Hi Bonnie, I can't believe your listening to Good Wives..I love all of this series from Louisa Alcott (since I was 10yrs old). I have just finished reading Charlotte Bronte's VILLETTE. Give it a try and tell me what you think. It is really hard going until the second half and then becomes very rewarding!! Love your blog Bonnie..I so want to do a photoshop (or whatever you use) workshop with you!! Much Love

Cheri February 17, 2009 at 11:34 PM  

I love this! I bet your kids won't forget this time you all spent together for a very long time.
I love the picture of them exploring with the ocean in the background.

Mari February 18, 2009 at 3:05 AM  

What a great idea. I'm not very good at changing the routine, and I could learn from you. I love the pictures!

Anonymous February 18, 2009 at 8:24 AM  

What a great outing! Those are the moments they will remember!

So good to hear from you. I switched feed readers. I need to get you in my new one!

Amy February 18, 2009 at 11:04 AM  

Oh Bonnie.... such an afternoon of drinking in all that beauty.... gorgeous... thankyou for that... I felt like I was with ya, girl! mmmm.... I could get lost in a place like that.... Hugs.. Amy

Leeann February 18, 2009 at 12:29 PM  

Three cheers for such a great post!

Love the photography, the imagery, the sweetness of the day. Very well done.

Leeann

Christina February 19, 2009 at 1:28 AM  

This looks like such a wonderful time! Very peaceful and soul-restoring. The colors are incredible. And love their sketches!

Anonymous March 4, 2009 at 7:38 PM  

I too can't wait till you do it again! Loved the scenic tour of your wonderful sporadic day!

Sabba and Nanny March 5, 2009 at 4:38 AM  

Magnificent!

Your creativity. Jono's vocabulary. Alia's courage to accept a challenge. God's ocean!

A fine word, magnificent.

Going back to its ultimate Latin roots: magnus: great; facere: to do

It has to do with doing great things or great things done well.

Well done, mi hija. Magnificent!

Ms Muffin March 5, 2009 at 5:55 AM  

Funny! When I read this I felt so ... understood. You must be a bit like me! I also can't stand routine for long. I mean ... it's nice cause it makes things easier in a way ... but it VERY soon get's on my nerves and in the worst case totally frustrates me ... :-(
Unfortunately we don't have such a lovely sea nearby to break up the routine.
Love the photos by the way!

Laura March 10, 2009 at 6:17 PM  

Have you thought about homeschooling? You could do that all day everyday together. :o) Thanks for sharing your awesome day!

Anonymous May 13, 2009 at 11:02 PM  

i love to hear a mom's reflections on her kids...very cool


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP