Thursday, October 30, 2008

Sharing Childhood Part 3

Photobucket

With all this talk about the things my kids do around the house, I'm thinking about the amount of time Rory and I have put into teaching them to do these things. I don't want to mislead you into thinking it has been "a walk in the park" !

I think that we, as parents, often underestimate the abilities of our children. I know I have. But, I tend to live a lot of my parenting life letting them try. Encouraging them to try. Not expecting them to accomplish at adult standards.

Jono's bed looks like a six year old made it. Because a six year old did. I do not go along behind him and fix it up. How discouraging for him ! I praise his efforts. Let me tell you, his six year old bed making skills are a whole lot better than his three year old bed making skills were !

Alia's clothes look like a five year old folded them. Because a five year old did. I do not expect her to be able to fold them like I do. I have taught her the method, she follows it and does a good job.

I have spent time teaching and training and showing and working alongside my children. I continue to work along side them. I am not sitting watching TV while they 'keep house' ! We are working together. Sharing the responsibility that comes with being part of a family.

My children have plenty of time to be children. As I type this, I'm listening to them outside playing with the neighbor kids. Riding bikes and enjoying the days as they lengthen coming into summer. They watch tv. They play computer games. They color and read and do puzzles. They spend time playing in their own rooms. They love a swim and a day at the beach. We bush walk together as a family. And play games.

Their lives have a healthy balance, and that is what I think is important. Too far to either side and it wouldn't be healthy. Finding the balance ... well, that's the job of the parent !

6 comments:

Sabba and Nanny November 2, 2008 at 2:16 AM  

Perfect. I love to read your thoughts and see how you two are raising your children. Too bad you were not blogging these thoughts when we were raising you! They would have been quite helpful. Love, Dad

Christina November 2, 2008 at 7:29 AM  

Bonnie, these posts make it beautifully clear what a great mother you are! Jono and Alia are fortunate to have you training them so well. At not-quite-three, we're not yet there with Nadia, but this gives me hope that all the hard work will pay off!

Cherdecor November 2, 2008 at 8:44 AM  

You certainly are doing a great job teaching your children. These are great thoughts!

A Captured Reflection November 3, 2008 at 10:54 AM  

I am really enjoying your blog Bonnie, loving your deep sharing, your wisdom, fun...many facets. I've also felt quite challenged and wanted to run away because I've felt challenged - I have grizzled at my children expecting their beds to look great...not always, just some days and I see afresh that I need to take things where they are at, recognise the positive stuff. Yeah, good stuff Bonnie...but not too many...you are showing up all my Mummying 'holes', ha ha :-) Appreciate you!!!

Demara November 5, 2008 at 10:15 AM  

I'm proud of you Bonnie! Have you ever seen the tv show called: "Supernanny" I like watching it for tips on balancing your kid's schedule. I've learned from that show that children NEED a schedule/routine. I never had that growing up, but when we used it fostering for a year, it helped immensely. Everyone in the house knew what was expected and I think this helps keep the peace and order when it could otherwise be chaotic.

You sound like you're doing a great job!! Right on~

Rachel November 7, 2008 at 4:09 AM  

Thanks Bonnie.....you made me cry!
I have been convicted lately how picky I am with my children and the way they keep house.well their part I mean.
you gave me the encouragement I needed to let them make their owm beds and be happy with it instead of fixing it the way I like it.
you are truely a GREAT mother. I wish I could live nearer to you so I could observe, and learn from you more. Keep up the good work, and thank you for sharing


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP