Monday, August 26, 2013

The Baker's Daughter


 photo 0F58F115-CE6E-4C85-B2D8-E1480652CF19-12860-000005B8E5DF8382_zps9d08f64a.jpg

My sister reviewed this book on her blog a year before I was able to get it from my library.  Finally it came in and I started reading it  ... eleven weeks ago.  I know because I posted the photo to instagram on the day I started reading it!  It did not take me eleven weeks to read.  I had told a friend I would edit her novel and that came in just a few days after I started this one.  After that great read, I had to start this one over again because I had become so attached to her characters that I couldn't remember what I had read or who the characters were in this one!  And then, I don't know, for some reason I put this one down again ... Not because it wasn't good.  You know, sometimes it just happens. 

Anyway, a few days ago I picked it up again and this time I couldn't put it down.

It is a wonderful story.  Set in Germany in the 1940's and also in modern day USA.  The Germany part was during the war ... and so it deals with the holocaust but it is from such a different perspective than I've read before.  The story is told through the eyes of a German girl ... not through the eyes of a Jewish person. 

It is not a heavy read and given the subject matter, I found that refreshing.  It is lighthearted without being flippant.  It is honest without giving all the gory details.  It is a story of hope.  (my favorite kind)  It is a story that reminds me that even in dire circumstances, all is not lost.  I still have choices.  Choices that may change the course of another persons life.   And ultimately, the course of my own ...

2 comments:

Anonymous August 27, 2013 at 9:32 AM  

This is such a good review. It makes me want to read the book. I love a story of hope too!!! (Instead of reading the book, I'm going to go read my review again...)

simply bev August 28, 2013 at 9:53 AM  

I'm finishing up my current book this evening and am heading to the library in the morning for my next pick. Thanks for the review...I know what my next book is now!


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP