Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Corner {Serendipity} View

Photobucket

The theme of this week's Corner View is 'serendipity'. I'll admit, I had to look up the word in the dictionary.  Sure, I've heard the word, and I had a slight understanding of it's meaning but I couldn't tell you what it meant! Now I can.  It's about making fortunate discoveries by accident.  Serendipity is one of my new favorite words because serendipity is one of my favorite things.  I love the discoveries that one makes in life ... by accident.  So many times in the garden, I will stumble upon wonderful things.  Interesting things.  Beautiful things.  Especially through the eye of a camera.

This photo for instance.  Yesterday morning I was out watering the garden and I watched the above praying mantis catch itself a little flying insect.  Just grabbed it as it flew past.  It was FASCINATING!   I had my phone in my pocket and snapped a couple of photos but couldn't get the little guy in focus.  I didn't have time to run and grab the camera so I just left it.  After work, I was out in the garden again, picking some tomatoes and I decided to check if he was still there.  Not only was he there, he had caught himself a fly!  I had to run and grab the camera, for sure!  And as I looked through the lens, I actually watched him EAT the fly!  Again, totally fascinating!  If you look closely at the photo, you can see that the fly is half eaten ... and look at how the praying mantis is holding the fly by his legs.  Incredible. 

Serendipity.  It's a great word.  I'm glad I discovered it!

**
Corner View was created by Jane at Spain Daily and is now hosted by Francesca.  It is bloggers from all over the world, posting photos of a specific weekly theme.  To join, just post to your own blog and then link up over at Francesca's Corner View for the week.  Then, visit the other Corner Views ... that's my favorite part !  Seeing the interpretations of the themes, visiting different cultures, learning something new !

9 comments:

Unknown December 5, 2012 at 6:55 PM  

Photo is beautiful and so warm for the rainy day I have!

Heather December 6, 2012 at 8:44 AM  

Serendipity at its best! Great photo. Makes me think of the 80s song by Don Dixon, "Praying Mantis": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VOwoWlyDpE

Anonymous December 6, 2012 at 6:04 PM  

voracious critter - you got to be glad that he didn't have a taste for your tomatoes :)

shayndel December 6, 2012 at 6:40 PM  

Wow, wonderful! I love the word too and this whole CV to see all the serenditpity that is out there!!
Happy days of discovery! ♡

Le monde dÖ December 6, 2012 at 11:45 PM  

A lovely and perfect illustration :)

tanïa December 7, 2012 at 6:33 AM  

Woah, amazing shot! And pure serendipidy you got that in front of your lense! If you'd taken the first shot this one would have gone through!
Fascinating cruel, but for all that beautiful nature! Strange creature!

Redeker December 7, 2012 at 7:01 AM  

what a warm flower and amazing with the little bug in it. I also had to look the word up!

nadine paduart December 7, 2012 at 8:24 AM  

call me bonkers, but i almost feel for that fly... hee hee...
n♥

Alla December 7, 2012 at 8:20 PM  

wow I didn't even notice the green guy at first! That's true I'll admit serendipity from nature truly is a beautiful surprise. I wish we can go back to the time when we all lived among nature... oh wait, that's caveman time... no dishwasher... forgetit. :) :)


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP