Friday, September 14, 2012

Name that bird ...

Photobucket 

I have no idea what kind of bird this is.  

I saw him for the first time last week on my back patio. He flew in, hovered in front of a spider web and plucked the spider right out of the centre of it's comfy home.  I was mind blown.  It was so cool !  I was wishing that I'd had a camera !  Not that I would have been able to capture it ... he is super quick.

Yesterday, two of them came and had a little bath in our bird bath.  Again, too quick ... they were gone before I could get the camera ready ...

Then this morning they were in our tree.  One of them flew off pretty quick but this little guy hung around long enough for me to get my camera focused on him.  I snapped just as he took off ... this is the resulting photo !!  

I love it.

Anyone have any idea what sort of bird this is ?  He's quite small ... only a little bit bigger than a hummingbird.  Long pointy beak.  Very fast flyer.  


4 comments:

Anonymous September 14, 2012 at 1:27 AM  

Are you sure he's not a form of hummingbird? It was my first thought when I saw the picture... before you were describing his behaviors.

Kath September 14, 2012 at 2:49 AM  

I have no idea at all! Isn't there a bird called a fly-catcher something or other? But, really I just want to tell you that this is an exceptionally cool photo!

Mrs. Wallace September 14, 2012 at 4:31 AM  

I think I shall name him George ;-) hehehe

Tessa September 18, 2012 at 11:55 AM  

Bonnie, from the beak I would say it is a honey-eater. We have many varieties of honey-eaters in Australia and they haunt the Bottle-brush and Grevilleas at this time of year.


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP