Monday, July 9, 2012

The Time Traveler's Wife



by Audrey Niffenegger

I read this book because I remember my Dad saying how much he enjoyed it.   I enjoyed it too, for the most part, I think.

Do you know the premise of the book ?  It's about a guy who time travels ... he can't control when or where he travels.   It's also about the woman who loves him and becomes his wife.  

I think she is amazing. I wondered a few times as I read the book if I would be willing to do what she did.  To choose a sometimes life with the man she loved ...

If it came down to sometimes or never at all, with Rory, I'd rather the sometimes.  When I read this, Rory was doing a fly in / fly out job.  He was out west for ten days, then home for four days.  He did this for six weeks.  It was not fun for any of us.  But, if I had to chose between that or not having Rory in my life ... I'd chose that.

Of course, I'm not faced with that choice, not for the long term.  And I'm relieved.

This book is not a 'feel good' read.  It's not a happy ending, how could it be ? But, it's thought provoking.  And it presents the good with the bad.  I'd recommend it.

5 comments:

Mari July 9, 2012 at 9:09 PM  

I read that book last year and really enjoyed it too. It's thought provoking!

Anonymous July 10, 2012 at 1:17 AM  

Yeah. I like your thoughts. I was surprised by the ending... I was still pulling for happy... But I liked it too.

Sabba and Nanny July 10, 2012 at 8:58 AM  

Why did I like this book so much?
1. I have always loved stories that deal with time travel.
2. I love love stories.
3. I love creative ideas, and this was a creative take on a time travel/love story.

Although sad, to quote Motel, "even a poor tailor is entitled to some happiness," and they did have happiness.

I think the story can be pigeonholed into a classic category--the star-crossed lovers: mortal and immortal (e.g. Aragorn and Arewen), Jew and non-Jew (Chava and Fyedke), different cultures (Tony and Maria), family enemies (Romeo and Juliet), etc.

Unknown July 10, 2012 at 12:00 PM  

I need to read this one! I adored the movie, such great contrast from traditional love stories.

Sabba and Nanny July 10, 2012 at 4:17 PM  

Carly, I thought the movie did a fair job of representing the book, but the book is much better, as is so often the case.


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP