Sunday, July 22, 2012

Growing Up Amish

 

 Yeah, yeah ... another Amish book.  I know !  But I'm fascinated.  
You know what kind of makes me sad though ? It seems, the books I read about the Amish are 
all stories of people who feet oppressed and trapped and lost and depressed and just have to get out ...

This book was no different. 

I'd like to read a book about the Amish by someone who LOVES being Amish. I'd love to know if the things that appeal to me are the things that they love.  The community.  The simplicity.  The sense of belonging.  The family picnics.  The "barn raisings". 

This book is not about loving being Amish.  

It's one mans story.  One mans thoughts and feelings.  It's one man's opinion and a look through his eyes.   His struggle.  His indecision.  His depression.  His comings and goings.  His moment of truth.

We all have a story.

This is his.


3 comments:

Ellie July 23, 2012 at 1:24 AM  

Oh man. I hope you find a book about the good parts of being Amish, but I'm not sure there will be one, because I don't think a happy Amish person will write one. They'll be too busy living the good/simple life.

Marissa July 26, 2012 at 1:51 AM  

Bonnie, you might like this book: http://www.amazon.com/The-Amish-Cook-Recollections-Recipes/dp/1580082149

It was written by my husband's great aunt. She writes a weekly newspaper column which includes the news from daily life as well as recipes. This book is a collection of those stories and recipes. I read through it and enjoyed the window into Amish life. You would probably also enjoy looking through the recipes.

Anonymous July 28, 2012 at 7:28 AM  

Though I know very little about being Amish, I'm surprised about the fact that the published literature is not too flattering about the whole experience. Is it the publishers choice, or growing up Amish?


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP