Tuesday, June 19, 2012

In Grandma's Attic




I remember my Mom reading the first of these books to me as a child.  I wanted to read it to Alia and was pleasantly surprised when I went to order them, that there were four in the series !  I bought them all.  I started to read them to her a few years ago but they were over her head.  Then earlier this year, we started them again.  She was at just the right age.  She is 8.

I LOVED reading these to her.  They are old fashioned.  Stories told to a Granddaughter.   Set in a farming community during the times of one room school houses, pot belied stoves, buggies, and hoop skirts.  It's about childhood and fun and growing up.  It's about mischief and consequences and learning self control. 

I thought I'd let Alia tell you what she thought of the books ... in a question and answer format.

B:  Did you like these books ?
A:  Yes.

B: What did you like best about them?
A: They were interesting because they do things different.

B: Who was your favorite character?
A:  Mabel, Sarah Jane, Ma and Roy

B: What was your  favorite story ?
A:  Revenge. It was about when Roy was allergic to weeds and Mabel thought he stole her toys so she put weeds in his pillow and he got very sick but who actually stole them was the birds.

B: Was there anything you didn't like about these books ?
A:  No

B: Would you recommend these books to other girls your age ?
A:  Yes because they were very good.


7 comments:

Anonymous June 19, 2012 at 8:52 AM  

What a great book review. I love it, Alia girl. If I had an eight year old girl, I'd definitely read them to her. But, maybe I'll just have to read them to myself one day.

Kath June 19, 2012 at 1:06 PM  

This is perhaps my favorite book review ever! I am so glad you liked this book, Miss A! Love, Nanny

Terri June 19, 2012 at 2:07 PM  

Ahh, the memories. I loved those books. I'm going to have to go searching for my copies (I only have 2)Shaelyn might enjoy them.

Tessa June 19, 2012 at 4:19 PM  

What a delightful way to interact with Alia and how well she gave her answers. Books like this cannot be replaced by modern media even watching together. Love it.

Tessa June 19, 2012 at 4:22 PM  

What a wonderful way to interact with Alia. She answered so well. There is no substitute for using books in this way, even watching a movie together. Love it.

Tessa June 19, 2012 at 4:27 PM  

This is my fourth attempt to leave a comment. I can't get the robot proof letters right.

I love the sharing with Alia and her comments. There is no substitute for reading a book together, even watching a movie.

Sabba and Nanny June 20, 2012 at 6:59 AM  

Please tell Alia that Sabba loves her book review. Even more, I love that she loves books.


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP