Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Tree is Growing ...

This morning when I woke up I found a comment from a friend on Facebook. Don't you just love Facebook ? This particular friend is one that I went to high school with in Spain. Now ... for us military brats who moved around our whole lives, friends were something you had for a few years and then left ... most of whom you'd never hear from again. Until Facebook ! This Navy Brats DREAM COME TRUE !! I love being in contact with so many 'old' friends !! And of course, I love being able to be in daily contact with so much of my family ! It's like I'm there ... or they're here ... only we're not. You know ?

Anyway ... this is not a post about Facebook ... the comment from my friend said this ...
"Bonnie, love, love, love the thankful tree idea!!! I am totally going to steel it! :o) Can you elaborate on it a little more? You are so creative and I'm just not sure what materials to use, how it should look, what kind of tree, etc. I know, I know...I'm thinking too much and making it harder than I probably should, but any input you have would be appreciated. Love the blog!!! Thanks."
And so, in answer to her question, I bring you the following post. Here are the very basic materials that we use ... paper, scissors, blu-tack, and a pen. And a little container to keep it all in.



I didn't go out and buy paper. I just rummaged through my scrap paper drawer and tried to find earthy tones for the 'tree trunk' ... here's what I came up with ... If you don't have scraps around the house, I'm sure you could find some cheap packs of off cuts at a craft shop, or even a dollar store !



Our supplies live on the end of the kitchen counter ...



Close to the dinning room table ... since we write our things we are thankful for after dinner.



The 'tree' is on a wall just opposite the dinning room table. I wanted it on a wall that was visible to us regularly ... since we are at the table a few times a day, this works ! Also ... it's enough 'out of the way' that it's not something people see until they sit at our table !



I love how it is developing ! And I love the things everyone is thankful for. You can read them all in the picture but I'll tell you who wrote a few of them. All of mine have exclamation marks ! I just love exclamation marks !! (if you are a frequent reader of my blog that probably comes as no surprise !!)

We don't give the kids any ideas ... we haven't had to, they come up with these on their own !

Jono (8) ... natcher (nature), church, sports, life, games, toys, rip stick, and thankfulness. Isn't that adorable ? He's thankful for thankfulness.

Alia (6) ... pets, love, grandma and grandad, jono, mommy and daddy, water, friends, my house, and me. I LOOOOOVE that she is thankful for herself !!

and Rory ... bbq (we just got a new weber !), laughter, food, healthy bodies, eyes, family, music.




It's not really looking much like a tree ...

We all keep making jokes about it. But ... I don't want to stifle anyone's creativity so I haven't said anything about the TRIANGLES (!!) ha ha. And I'm not overly concerned that it look like an actual tree. Once it gets tall enough we'll add 'leaves' and maybe then it will look like a tree ...

But even if it never does ...



... i don't mind !

It is serving it's purpose ! I love the thankfulness that it is cultivating in our family. I love that it is there where we see it regularly and that it's a topic of conversation. I love that later, when times maybe are rough, it will serve as a reminder of all that we have to be thankful for. Because really, when it comes down to it ... we have SO MUCH to be thankful for ! I think even after 12 months of 'growing our thankful tree' we will not even have scratched the surface ...

11 comments:

Mari January 13, 2010 at 12:32 PM  

I love your thankful tree! I love exclamation points too!!!

Sandra January 13, 2010 at 1:07 PM  

Love the thankful tree Bonnie, it's such a great idea :)

Toni January 13, 2010 at 1:32 PM  

I love it too :D

I think I'm going to steal this idea!!

likeschocolate January 13, 2010 at 1:38 PM  

What a great idea!

Amy January 13, 2010 at 2:02 PM  

absolutely marvelous!! Absolutely FANTASTICAL!!

Liz M. January 13, 2010 at 3:38 PM  

So beautiful! Even with the triangles.
Gratitude/thankfullness is totally the theme of this week. And i'll tell you why, but it's too long to post in a comment. Ok I'm going to e-mail you. Right now. Bye.

Sabba and Nanny January 13, 2010 at 4:02 PM  

I am so thankful that Jono thinks thankfulness is something to be thankful for, because I think thankfulness is one of the most important things in life.

That Alia is thankful for herself reminds me of her mother saying she loves her life, and I remember thinking that nothing could have made me more thankful.

I continue to think this thankful tree is one of the best ideas ever.

Erin January 14, 2010 at 12:55 AM  

Thank you for sharing more of your thankful tree with us, it's beautiful and such a lovely idea. . . =)

Palmer and Co January 14, 2010 at 2:38 AM  

LOVE! I was laying in bed the other night thinking about your tree... genius!

Anonymous January 14, 2010 at 5:54 AM  

this is so, so cool!

Kayren January 26, 2010 at 1:35 PM  

So cute! I love 'natcher' and it reminds me of when my kids were smaller and would write stuff. Brings back memories.


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP