Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Trash Can Play Time

Photobucket

Yes.
He is sitting
in a trash can playing lego.
He assures me it is comfy and
that I should try it ! Not on your life !
We've started something new with Jono.
We've been thinking he needs to be able to have
some more privileges, you know, now that he is getting older
and more responsible. A couple of weeks ago we started letting him
stay up later than Alia. She goes to bed at 7:30 and he doesn't have to go to
bed until 8:15. He is allowed to play in the toy room, quietly, from 7:30 - 8:10.
We have given him a clock and it is his responsibility to make sure his toys are cleaned up
and he is in bed by 8:15. He has done so well ! One night, early on, he was still in there cleaning up at 8:20. He gave me some excuse. I told him that with privilege came responsibility and if he couldn't be responsible to make sure he got to bed on time that he would not be able to 'stay up late' anymore. I told him that from now on, if he didn't get to by by 8:15, the next night he
would go to bed at the same time as Alia. It's been two weeks and he hasn't been
late to bed. Not one time ! He comes out at 8:10, gives us kisses and cuddles
and then gets in bed ! It's incredible. I think it is having the desired effect.
Teaching him responsibility and helping him to feel that little bit more
independent but in our safe environment. I'm seeing some
improvements in attitude as well. We're not 'there'
yet but as Rory
said to
me

yesterday.
"We are getting there ..."
I'm glad he thinks that. It gives me hope.
And that, friends, is all I need.

9 comments:

Kath November 3, 2009 at 2:37 AM  

When we were kids I remember sitting in waste baskets like this, but our purpose was to then stand up and see how long we could waddle around before they fell off. It was hilarious! We looked like ducks! Mom

Kath November 3, 2009 at 2:39 AM  

Oh and now that I have stopped laughing about trash cans, good for you for your responsibility plan, sounds like a winner!

Mari November 3, 2009 at 7:24 AM  

Love that picture! What a kid.
I think this is a great plan - a reward with some teaching at the same time!

A Captured Reflection November 3, 2009 at 8:04 AM  

What a hoot! I think I'd need to be surgically removed if I got myself in the waste basket. Ha ha.

Loved your Video Log - you have a great voice too, perfect for narrating your audio book (I'd buy it!)

Happy Birthday to Jono for the 8th!

Anonymous November 3, 2009 at 5:18 PM  

loved your text design! and that is too funny...trash can play time? hahahahaha glad this new idea is helping some what.

Kayren November 4, 2009 at 1:24 AM  

That's fantastic. Love when they are growing up, yet wanting them to stay small...such emotions.

Is that a red Ikea trash can?

Sheryl November 4, 2009 at 5:53 AM  

That is so cute.

Unknown November 4, 2009 at 11:14 AM  

Respect for your discipline, even though it is very, very far from what I/we practice.
And great photo!

;) November 4, 2009 at 6:36 PM  

Nice and funny shot !


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP