Monday, May 25, 2009

{home management}

Photobucket



My sister Ellie inspired me.
It's not the first time.
She has a tendency to be like that ... inspirational.

We were talking the other day about home management.
She has recently put some new systems into place that are working really well.

I'm not following the same systems as my schedule is different to hers.
But, listening to her enthusiasm inspired me to put my own systems into place.

We pack a lot into our lives.
Rory works full time.
He also plays futsal on two different teams.
I work part time
and spend half a day a week in a studio doing an art lesson.
We are both involved in music and missions at church.
Outside of school, Jono plays AFL and soccer.
Both kids take swimming lessons.

And that's just the stuff that's scheduled.

It's not too much.
We have plenty of time to relax
and enjoy being together.
We eat dinner together almost every night.
There are of course, exceptions.


BUT, what can happen, if I'm not careful is that I let the housework pile up
and then I spend an entire Saturday cleaning and that makes me grumpy !

There just had to be a better way ...

Photobucket

One of my biggest frustrations, when it comes to cleaning the house,
has been not knowing what my husband expects.
So ... first thing I did after talking to Ellie
( why did I not do this 12 years ago !? )
was have him tell me

EXACTLY

what his expectations are.

How often does he think the house needs to be vacuumed ?
How frequently do the sheets need to be changed ?

etc.

etc.

etc.

I thought his expectations were reasonable so I went with those.

I sat down and made a chart that lists all the cleaning and how often it needs to be done.
I added dates according to the frequency.
So ... this week, when I clean the toilet, I'll write the date it was done in the column for this week.
Make sense ?

I think it is going to be really good for me to be able to keep track of everything.
Also good for when Rory gets an inkling to help out, which he is very good at, to be able to
see what has been done and what needs to be done.

Photobucket

I also did a daily chart for each of the kids.

Photobucket

They love it.

Photobucket

I added the charts to the 'home management station' that I've been developing
on the inside of the pantry door.
It is the perfect location.
Seriously, how many times is a Mommy in and out of the pantry on any day of the week !?
I ALWAYS see it !!

I've got my calendar there.
The notes from the school.
Events, like a wedding we are going to in June ...
The menu.
And now ... the charts !

Photobucket

Can I tell you how much I love having everything in one place ?
I have always wanted some sort of 'home management system' but have never had a good spot for it.
I didn't want it on a wall somewhere where it looked 'junky'.
But, in the pantry ... with a door that closes.
Perfect, I tell you.
Just perfect.

Photobucket

So tell me ... do you have a system for getting everything done ?
Care to share ?
You can do it in the comments or post it on your blog.
If you do a post, be sure to let me know so I can come check it out ...

18 comments:

A Captured Reflection May 26, 2009 at 7:02 PM  

You are so awesomely organised! I like to be organised but at the same time I hate routine which for a perfectionist who likes to be organised is real tricky! I write lists and have household jobs I want to accomplish each day and during the week. I try to do as much as I can during the week as I hate spending heaps of time on the house at the weekends, because by Monday I'd be frazzled.

I don't menu plan. I grew up with a weekly menu planned by my Mum and it put me off for life, so I go with the flow on a daily basis meal's wise...I am sure I can still recite what meals we had on certain days in my sleep from my childhood, ha ha.

I am often sorting out cupboards, two or three times a year I have a big household blitz and systematically go through each cupboard and totally re-organise and 'rationalise' things.

You so rock! I am full of admiration for you.

Stacy May 27, 2009 at 12:13 AM  

You are so dang organized! I need to do something like that, too. It would definitely help!

Ellie May 27, 2009 at 2:03 AM  

Yay! I LOVE it. What a great list. It gives you the flexibility you needed, but has everything on it. And it doesn't look super overwhelming... when you consider it's all the work in one place.
Hm... Jack just threw down his tray... he's done.
I love you.
I'll have my post this week. Friday is my office day this week, so if I haven't finished it by then, I'll do it Friday!

Amy May 27, 2009 at 2:22 AM  

Bonnie, girl! You are inspiring me! I have wanted to do something like this too for A LOOOONG time.... thankyou for sharing all that you put together for your family! I love that it is hanging right there by the door also... always withing reach and in eye view! Excellent job!
Wow!

Kayren May 27, 2009 at 2:24 AM  

Great post!!!

Khrista May 27, 2009 at 5:11 PM  

Love it! Wish I could see your chart closer though.. :) I need to get myself organized! Especially before this baby arrives! You have inspired me! :)

Sarah May 28, 2009 at 2:12 AM  

Oh, Bonnie! What a post! What a post! And, so timely - summer revamping is upon us! I always do really well in the fall when we start school but it seems to fizzle out by November. This year, I am going to start getting everyone on a plan over the summer so it is firmly in place by school time. You have inspired me! I will post on my blog eventually, and will let you know!

Tessa May 30, 2009 at 10:47 AM  

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH Bonnie! Will you come and visit me to work out my pantry and schedule? When I worked full time everyone had a job and every job had its place. Now there's only me and him, why bother? I know , Bad attitude and bad mess!!!!!!!!!!!! You have inspired me to label my pantry items and put them (mostly) in containers. I wish I could remember where I put everything though after I take it out!!!!!M

Toni June 2, 2009 at 8:23 PM  

Dang girl, I just love your home management system. You know the way to my door ........

Sono-Ma: Holly White-Wolfe July 14, 2009 at 10:31 PM  

I'd also like to see what you did for your menu planning! Your charts look great. I just posted my own grocery shopping and meal planning chart, but I might do some work to make it look prettier after seeing your chore charts!

http://sono-ma.blogspot.com/2009/07/weekly-meal-planning-for-family-of-four.html

Thanks for sharing!

Jodie July 16, 2009 at 4:01 AM  

Hi! I am stopping by from Tip Junkie. I have been trying to figure out a way to get myself more organized. Thank you for this tip. I can't wait to implement it in our home!

Sharmin July 27, 2009 at 4:23 AM  

Thank you so much for your home management chart. My husband has been after me to get a chart exactly like yours going for our home. I was so overwhelmed with where to even start and after seeing your chart, I am well on my way. You have been a BLESSING to me today! Thanks so much!

Sharmin

Unknown August 19, 2009 at 2:13 PM  

This is perfect. I don't have enough kitchen wall space, but I do have the inside pantry door. I can't thank you enough for solving my dilemma.

Eos Mom September 3, 2009 at 1:54 PM  

Love your cleaning schedule--I've been working on something similar but only weekly, I'm going to have to steal your idea. And I love your command center *inside* a pantry door. Great idea!

Julie January 25, 2010 at 2:50 PM  

Wow what a great system!!! i am defenitley going to try it out. i have always used paper stacking systems in a cupboard but it isn't workin out that great. Great blog!!

jennmiller1995 September 6, 2010 at 11:58 AM  

I so love your family schedule. What are the chances of you emailing me a copy? lol

Unknown April 19, 2011 at 12:50 PM  

What a great idea!!
Love your template!! what program did you use?
any chance you would mind emailing me a copy of the template? (thanks) exotickittie@gmail.com

Ali December 7, 2011 at 1:38 PM  

I love your templates...is there anyway you could email me your template, I'm having a really hard time keeping myself on a schedule (college student, single mom) I love how organized you are! love the command center idea too... my email is alisbookshelf@yahoo.com

Thanks


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP