Friday, April 10, 2009

Changing Colors and Dropping Leaves ...

... not something you see round here very often !

And for me, it was such a treat. On the way home from the Falls on Mothers Day, I asked Rory to pull over in a side street that we had noticed on the way in. We'd seen some maple trees with their leaves changing colors and I wanted to take a few photos.

Photobucket

I got more than I bargained for !

As soon and I stepped in the leaves, and heard the crunching underfoot, I was transported to another time.

Photobucket

My childhood. More specifically, to my childhood Autumns.

Photobucket

I remember, when we lived in Fort. Meade, Maryland.

We had a forest behind our house where Jimmy and I used to love exploring.

One of our favorite things was the 'leaf pool'.

Photobucket

I think Ellie came with us too sometimes but she was younger so maybe not always.

Anyway, there was a rather large tree stump that had bark chips flaking off.

We used to pull them off and they were tickets to get into the pool.

The 'pool' was a big hole in the ground that was filled with leaves.

We used to jump from the ticket stump ~ now the diving board (!) ~ into the 'pool' !

Photobucket

I wonder if it was really as fun as we remember it to be ?

I think if I tried to jump into a pile of leaves now, I'd probably not be found for days !

But ... for few moments, while I walked and took photos and listened to the crunch ...

I was there.

Jumping in the leaf pool with Jimmy and Ellie.

And I loved it !


~~~ Originally posted May 16, 2008 ~~~

We're in the midst of packing and more packing and even more packing so I thought I might pull a few posts out of the archives for the next few days ....

Enjoy !!

5 comments:

Amy April 10, 2009 at 11:58 PM  

mmmm.... what a beautiful memory, Bonnie!!

Can I tell you I am so excited for you and your new home?? I was thinking of you the other day and wondering how that was going... so it's good to hear that it sounds like this is the weekend! So wonderful!!

Now, question for ya?? When does Summer end in Australia?

Mari April 11, 2009 at 12:18 AM  

Your memory brought me back to my childhood, because we did things like that too. The pictures are just beautiful!

Sarah April 11, 2009 at 1:12 AM  

What a great memory, with such exquisite pictures to go along with it. I love the idea of the pool - that sounds so much like something my kids would come up with.

Have a great day!

Toni April 11, 2009 at 5:22 PM  

Thanks for the memory Bonnie. You transported us back with you :D

What a fun time it must of been with your brother & sister, playing in the "pool".

Anonymous April 12, 2009 at 4:09 AM  

maybe next time you want to let me know

it's from the archives

BEFORE I start reading!?!?!

LOL

while reading I thought I've READ THIS BEFORE!

but I got transported again to that pool and was mesmerized for a moment and couldn't stop the replay (;=]) THX

OH and I can't wait to see your NEW place!!! sounds like SO MUCH fun

I LOVE packing!!!


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP