Saturday, November 1, 2008

Sharing My Journey

Photobucket

About twelve years ago, someone hurt me (not physically). It was someone that I did not know.

I'm sure we all know that the actions of other people do not always only affect them. The actions of this particular person changed the course of my life. Well ... maybe not the course of my life ... but the way that I view it, the way that I trust, the way that I live.

The actions of this person could have destroyed me.

Twelve years ago I was confronted with a choice. A choice of becoming bitter and angry or of being willing to walk in forgiveness. I chose forgiveness. Little did I know back then, how difficult it would be. How big of a commitment I was making. How much mending it would take to make my broken heart beat properly again.

Little did I know that it wasn't as easy as just saying I forgive you. It was a daily choice. For a long long time. Years. Maybe two or three. Maybe more.

Twelve years on, it is no longer a daily choice, but every now and then I find myself faced with the practical outworking of my choice. I find myself face to face with this person in the company of mutual friends. Carrying on a conversation. Feeling the familiar feelings of the hurt rising to the surface, having to forgive again and again and again.

But making the same choice. Choosing to forgive. And being thankful for how much I have been forgiven ... how could I chose anything less ?


7 comments:

MGF November 2, 2008 at 11:47 PM  

VERY Powerful......
Forgiveness is trying to be the better for me.
I too choose forgiveness about four years ago, but I have not personal had to put a face to it. It must bring up pain each time.

Mari November 3, 2008 at 12:03 AM  

It is a daily choice. Thanks for sharing this.
PS - love the flower picture!

the voice of melody November 3, 2008 at 7:29 AM  

That's the mark of a mature Christian. It's not easy to forgive, but we all know we simply *must* do it.

Thanks for sharing the story and reminding all of us that forgiveness is what He's given us already.

Many sweet blessings!

T'lia November 3, 2008 at 9:36 AM  

Thanks for sharing Bon,

I will second @the voice of melody's comments. It shows great maturity. :-)

Hope it doesn't hurt too much either.

T

Toni November 3, 2008 at 6:27 PM  

You are a very courageous woman Bon! To face your hurt constantly but to have the strength to forgive daily is not an easy thing to do. You really understand the "up to 70 times 7" don't you *hugs*

Stacy November 5, 2008 at 5:14 AM  

How very hard for you to have to continually face that hurt. You are a good Christian to choose the path of forgiveness.

When I was 17 I had an experience that shook my faith that people would do the right thing. It has really affected how much I trust people. Not that I don't feel people may be inherently good and do the right thing, but now I know not to expect the best out of everyone. It's a bit sad, really, but it is what it is.

Demara November 5, 2008 at 10:21 AM  

aw yes! I have similiar shoes that I wear too! Those confrontations are the best and worst times of our lives sometimes, but through God's love we can and do overcome, don't we!?!?!? What would we ever do without God and His love for you and I!


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP